Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to successfully install PIO 1.9.23?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yanhongyi

I'm a new user who tries to start MPAS-A.
But I face some problems...
I have netcdf pnetcdf and so on OK, but I fail to install pio.
In the tutorial PIO 1.9.23 was suggeted, however, the tar.gz file in github doesn't inclue bin and cmake, which need to clone in another website. How ever, the files in those websites seem to be out-time...
PIO 2.xx version doesn't need to do this, which can directly use configure and make. But its code need to use "-std=c99", I announced this in CFLAGS in makefile, but it seems has no use...
so, how to install PIO....
Please help me...

Hi sorry for the late reply on this.

Try Parallel IO 1.7.1, if you don't need NetCDF 4 I/O.

You can use the configure script (inside the PIO directory) to install and you can find the instructions for installing on this webpage (under the "Building PIO C and Fortran Libraries" header).

Hopefully that works for you.

Thanks! now i can run the pio installation, but finally it still failed to install.

I installed WRF in the tutorial of installing WRF official website. I already have netcdf-c and netcdf-fortran (these two are both in netcdf).

Next, I installed hdf5 and pnetcdf on my own.

I use the following command to install pio:

export CPPFLAGS='-I$DIR/netcdf/include -I$DIR/mpich/include -I/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pnetcdf/include -I/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/hdf5/include'
export LDFLAGS='-L$DIR/netcdf/lib -L$DIR/mpich/lib -L/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pnetcdf/lib -L/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/hdf5/lib'
export CC=mpicc
export FC=mpif90
export CFLAGS='-g -Wall'

After "./configure --enable-fortran" and "make" I got this:

(base) [hongyongyu@login01 pio]$ make install
install -c -d -m 755 /usr/local/lib
install -c -d -m 755 /usr/local/include
install -c -m 644 libpio.a /usr/local/lib/libpio.a
install: cannot create regular file ‘/usr/local/lib/libpio.a’: Permission denied
make: *** [install] Error 1

how to solve this?

You need to use the --prefix argument in your ./configure command. Please see this Stack Exchange answer on the --prefix argument: https://askubuntu.com/a/960975 for more information.

Thanks!
I use "./configure --prefix=/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio --enable-fortran" to configure.
Firstly, it said that it can't find NETCDF_PATH, so I set that as same as NETCDF. After that, I also set PNETCDF_PATH.
Finally I still have this problem:
=======================================================
checking for nf90_inq_grps... yes
using PNETCDF_PATH from environment
checking for pnetcdf.inc in /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pnetcdf/include... configure: WARNING: pnetcdf.inc not found in /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pnetcdf/include disabling pnetcdf support
checking for libpnetcdf.a in /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pnetcdf/lib... yes

Output Variables: {CC=mpicc} {FC=mpif90} {CXX=g++} {MPICC=mpicc} {MPIFC=mpif90}{MPICXX=} {FPPFLAGS=} {LD=mpif90} {OPT=} {BIT64=} {REAL8=} {ENDIAN=} {FFLAGS=-m64 } {CFLAGS=-g -Wall} {FCFLAGS= -m64 -I/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/WRF/Libraries/netcdf/include} {FC_DEFINE=-D} {MPI_INC=} {MPI_LIB=} {MODINC=} {AR=ar} {ARFLAGS=cq} {USE_PNETCDF=no} {PNETCDF_PATH=/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pnetcdf} {USE_NETCDF=yes} {NETCDF_PATH=/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/WRF/Libraries/netcdf} {USE_COMPRESSION=no} {CPPDEFS= -DSPMD -DHAVE_MPI -DNO_C_SIZEOF -DUSEMPIIO -DSYSLINUX -D_NETCDF -I/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/WRF/Libraries/netcdf/include -D_NOPNETCDF} {INCLUDEPATH= } {LDLIBS= -L/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/WRF/Libraries/netcdf/lib -lnetcdff -lnetcdf -lhdf5 -lhdf5_hl } {DEBUG=no}

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile.conf
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-fortran
Please check the Makefile.conf
Have a nice day!
===============================================================
↑this is what i have after order "./configure xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

when I start to use "make", it became like this:
(base) [hongyongyu@login01 pio]$ make
Done updating dependencies
make[1]: Entering directory `/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/ParallelIO-pio1_7_1/pio'
make[1]: `libpio.a' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/ParallelIO-pio1_7_1/pio'

I don't know what to do...

It appears that the --enable-fortran option is not available with this version. I believe you can remove the option and try again.

mcurry said:
It appears that the --enable-fortran option is not available with this version. I believe you can remove the option and try again.

Thank you very much for your patient response. I'm sorry that I have not looked at the forum because I have been busy these days.
I think that my configure step should be successful, but the subsequent make and make install still report errors.

↓ when i use ./configure --prefix=/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio:

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile.conf
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
Please check the Makefile.conf
Have a nice day!

(base) [hongyongyu@login01 pio]$ make check
make: *** No rule to make target `check'. Stop.

make[1]: Entering directory `/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/ParallelIO-pio1_7_1/pio'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/ParallelIO-pio1_7_1/pio'
(base) [hongyongyu@login01 pio]$ ^C
install -c -d -m 755 /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/lib
install -c -d -m 755 /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/include
install -c -m 644 libpio.a /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/lib/libpio.a
install -c -m 644 pio.mod pio_kinds.mod nf_mod.mod ionf_mod.mod pio_types.mod calcdecomp.mod piolib_mod.mod pio_mpi_utils.mod pio_nf_utils.mod pio_utils.mod pio_msg_mod.mod calcdisplace_mod.mod pio_support.mod pionfatt_mod.mod pionfread_mod.mod pionfwrite_mod.mod pionfput_mod.mod pionfget_mod.mod alloc_mod.mod box_rearrange.mod rearrange.mod iompi_mod.mod piodarray.mod pio_spmd_utils.mod /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/include

I think it may still be a problem with the package version... So, can you please tell me, from the netcdf, mpich... series, what version of the package should I use?

yanhongyi said:
(base) [hongyongyu@login01 pio]$ ^C
install -c -d -m 755 /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/lib
install -c -d -m 755 /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/include
install -c -m 644 libpio.a /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/lib/libpio.a
install -c -m 644 pio.mod pio_kinds.mod nf_mod.mod ionf_mod.mod pio_types.mod calcdecomp.mod piolib_mod.mod pio_mpi_utils.mod pio_nf_utils.mod pio_utils.mod pio_msg_mod.mod calcdisplace_mod.mod pio_support.mod pionfatt_mod.mod pionfread_mod.mod pionfwrite_mod.mod pionfput_mod.mod pionfget_mod.mod alloc_mod.mod box_rearrange.mod rearrange.mod iompi_mod.mod piodarray.mod pio_spmd_utils.mod /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/include

Based on this output from "make" and "make install", it looks like installation of the PIO library may have been successful. Could you verify that the /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/lib/libpio.a file exists, and that the /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio/include directory includes various *.mod files? If so, I think you could try setting the PIO environment variable to /ddn_lustre/hongyongyu/MPAS/LIBplus/pio before trying to compile MPAS-Atmosphere.