Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to initialize MPAS using restart files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

vortexdude

Hi,

I'm relatively new to running MPAS. Previously, I was given restart and analysis files for a 96 ensemble members produced from MPAS-DART's EnKF. Since I was given these, and the model's executable's "init_atmosphere" and "atmosphere_model" were available, it was easy to run the model forward for those members.

My question is: if I'm now just given restart files for those 96 members, how do I go about initializing the model with those files? And then running them forward? Is there something I need to run with "init_atmosphere" first, and then run for the "atmosphere_model"? If my question is simple, if someone could point me to documentation that would be great.

Thanks,
Jeremy

For running a restart file you will only need to run the atmosphere_model executable. Because restart files contain all of the needed MPAS grid information, as well as the current state of a simulation, it will be able to integrate forward from that point, without any additional files (Except, of course, a namelist.atmosphere file, a streams.atmopshere file, the stream_list files and the required MPAS physics .TBL files).

If you have not already, please take a look at section 7.3 of the MPAS Atmosphere Users Guide, which has information on running the model from a cold start and from a restart model (Running from a restart is handled near the end of the section).

The section in the Users Guide should give you enough information to integrate from your restart files; however, if you have troubles please feel free to let us know.