Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

PIO check fail during compilation of MPAS 7.0

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

srafkin

The MPAS 7.0 compilation fails during the pio check. I've edited the Makefile so the output is sent to standard output rather than /dev/null. Result is below along with additional info. Looks like a pathname problem related to a mystery MPAS include file (maybe?), but I've been unable to hunt it down. Thanks in advance for any help.

-bash-4.2$ make gfortran
( make all
"FC_PARALLEL = mpif90"
"CC_PARALLEL = mpicc"
"CXX_PARALLEL = mpicxx"
"FC_SERIAL = gfortran"
"CC_SERIAL = gcc"
"CXX_SERIAL = g++"
"FFLAGS_PROMOTION = -fdefault-real-8 -fdefault-double-8"
"FFLAGS_OPT = -O3 -m64 -ffree-line-length-none -fconvert=big-endian -ffree-form"
"CFLAGS_OPT = -O3 -m64"
"CXXFLAGS_OPT = -O3 -m64"
"LDFLAGS_OPT = -O3 -m64"
"FFLAGS_DEBUG = -g -m64 -ffree-line-length-none -fconvert=big-endian -ffree-form -fbounds-check -fbacktrace -ffpe-trap=invalid,zero,overflow"
"CFLAGS_DEBUG = -g -m64"
"CXXFLAGS_DEBUG = -O3 -m64"
"LDFLAGS_DEBUG = -g -m64"
"FFLAGS_OMP = -fopenmp"
"CFLAGS_OMP = -fopenmp"
"CORE = atmosphere"
"DEBUG = "
"USE_PAPI = "
"OPENMP = "
"CPPFLAGS = -D_MPI" )
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rafkin/MPAS-Model'
Checking for a usable PIO library...
pio1.f90:1:137:

program pio1; use pio; use pionfatt_mod; integer, parameter :: MPAS_IO_OFFSET_KIND = PIO_OFFSET; integer, parameter :: MPAS_INT_FILLVAL = NF_FILL_INT; end program
Error: Parameter 'nf_fill_int' at (1) has not been declared or is a variable, which does not reduce to a constant expression
pio2.f90:1:66:

program pio2; use pio; integer, parameter :: MPAS_IO_OFFSET_KIND = PIO_OFFSET_KIND; integer, parameter :: MPAS_INT_FILLVAL = PIO_FILL_INT; end program
Error: Parameter 'pio_offset_kind' at (1) has not been declared or is a variable, which does not reduce to a constant expression
pio2.f90:1:124:

program pio2; use pio; integer, parameter :: MPAS_IO_OFFSET_KIND = PIO_OFFSET_KIND; integer, parameter :: MPAS_INT_FILLVAL = PIO_FILL_INT; end program
Error: Parameter 'pio_fill_int' at (1) has not been declared or is a variable, which does not reduce to a constant expression
************ ERROR ************
Failed to compile a PIO test program
Please ensure the PIO environment variable is set to the PIO installation directory
************ ERROR ************
make[1]: *** [pio_test] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rafkin/MPAS-Model'
make: *** [gfortran] Error 2

I'm on CentOS7 using gfortran 5.5.0_4 with mpich 3.3.1, NetCDF 4.6.3_1, PNetCDF 1.7.0_2, and pio 1.7.2.

-bash-4.2$ echo $CORE $NETCDF $PNETCDF $PIO
atmosphere /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/Cellar/netcdf/4.6.3_1 /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/Cellar/parallel-netcdf/1.7.0_2 /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/Cellar/pio/1.7.2

bash-4.2$ uname -a
Linux mpas.boulder.swri.edu 3.10.0-957.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 8 23:39:32 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've managed to pass the pio check by adding "use pnetcdf" to the pio code generation line:

@echo "program pio1; use pio; use pnetcdf; use pionfatt_mod; integer, parameter :: MPAS_IO_OFFSET_KIND = PIO_OFFSET; integer, parameter :: MPAS_INT_FILLVAL = NF_FILL_INT; end program" > pio1.f90

@echo "program pio2; use pio; use pnetcdf; integer, parameter :: MPAS_IO_OFFSET_KIND = PIO_OFFSET_KIND; integer, parameter :: MPAS_INT_FILLVAL = PIO_FILL_INT; end program" > pio2.f90

However, the compile for MPAS now fails in mpas_io.F, no doubt for the same reason. Does 'use pnetcdf' now need to be included in various source files and modules?

mpif90 -D_MPI -DCORE_ATMOSPHERE -DMPAS_NAMELIST_SUFFIX=atmosphere -DMPAS_EXE_NAME=atmosphere_model -DMPAS_NATIVE_TIMERS -DMPAS_GIT_VERSION=v7.0-dirty -O3 -m64 -ffree-line-length-none -fconvert=big-endian -ffree-form -fdefault-real-8 -fdefault-double-8 -c mpas_io.F -I/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/include -I/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/Cellar/netcdf/4.6.3_1/include -I/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/Cellar/parallel-netcdf/1.7.0_2/include -I/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/include -I/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/Cellar/netcdf/4.6.3_1/include -I/home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/Cellar/parallel-netcdf/1.7.0_2/include -I../external/esmf_time_f90
mpas_io.F:30:43:

integer, parameter :: MPAS_INT_FILLVAL = NF_FILL_INT
Error: Parameter 'nf_fill_int' at (1) has not been declared or is a variable, which does not reduce to a constant expression
mpas_io.F:31:53:

character, parameter :: MPAS_CHAR_FILLVAL = achar(NF_FILL_CHAR)
Error: Parameter 'nf_fill_char' at (1) has not been declared or is a variable, which does not reduce to a constant expression
mpas_io.F:44:54:

real (kind=RKIND), parameter :: MPAS_REAL_FILLVAL = NF_FILL_DOUBLE
Error: Parameter 'nf_fill_double' at (1) has not been declared or is a variable, which does not reduce to a constant expression
mpas_io.F:278:37:

pio_mode = PIO_64BIT_DATA
Error: Symbol 'pio_64bit_data' at (1) has no IMPLICIT type
make[3]: *** [mpas_io.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rafkin/MPAS-Model/src/framework'
make[2]: *** [frame] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rafkin/MPAS-Model/src'
make[1]: *** [mpas_main] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rafkin/MPAS-Model'
make: *** [gfortran] Error 2

After a bit of testing, I think the issue is that your PIO library was not compiled with support for the parallel-netCDF library. The simplest workaround may be to install the PIO 1.7.2 library from source rather than using Homebrew. You can do this by downloading the PIO 1.7.2 source code from here: https://github.com/NCAR/ParallelIO/releases/tag/pio1_7_2 . After unpacking the PIO 1.7.2 tar file, you'll need to clone the genf90 repository in the top-level directory with:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/PARALLELIO/genf90.git bin
Then, after setting the FC, CC, NETCDF_PATH, and PNETCDF_PATH environment variables, you can run
Code:
./configure --prefix=/where/to/install/pio
make
make install
from the pio/ subdirectory. Setting the PIO environment variable to the installation prefix specified in the configure command should be all that's needed before building MPAS.

Thanks. I think I've come to the same conclusion. I'm now downloading the latest PIO (v 2.x) as well as the latest pnetcdf. Then I'll have the most current everything, and I will try a clean install. I appreciate the compile tips. I'll keep hacking away and see if I can get some incarnation of some version to work.

The "iolib_installation.sh" script at http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/people/duda/files/mpas/sources/ may be helpful in installing the software stack needed by MPAS.

mgduda said:
The "iolib_installation.sh" script at http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/people/duda/files/mpas/sources/ may be helpful in installing the software stack needed by MPAS.

^THAT is a beautiful thing. It worked. Thanks a bunch for the help.