Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

MPAS output GRIB format history files?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

zhuming

Hi MPAS Developers,

Could MPAS output history files with GRIB1/GRIB2 format instead of NetCDF format?

Thanks!
Zhuming

Unfortunately MPAS does not have that capability and there is not any current plans to implement this within MPAS. Although I am not familiar with any tools myself, I belive there are a number of tools out there that can easily translate NetCDF to GRIB.

It's also worth noting that the GRIB format was designed to store fields on a regular grid: depending on which source you check, GRIB either stands for "GRIdded Binary" or "General Regularly-distributed Information in Binary". The MPAS output is on the model's native, unstructured mesh, so I think at a minimum you would need to interpolate the output to a regular grid before attempting to convert to GRIB format.