Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

MPAS simulation end before reaching the final time

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Hi MPAS-support team,
I used MPAS-Atmosphere to simulate during the 3days period, however it stopped after just 6h of simulation.
The log file and namelist file was attached in this post.
Please help me to resolve this problem.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• namelist.atmosphere.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 41
  • log.atmosphere.0000.out.txt
    79 KB · Views: 38
What is the resolution of your limited-area mesh? I think either your timestep ("config_dt") or your horizontal mixing length scale ("config_len_disp") may be set incorrectly: config_dt is set to 180.0 (which would be appropriate for a ~30 km mesh) while config_len_disp is set to 3000.0 (which would be appropriate for a 3 km mesh).

Hi mgduda,
My problem came from the value of the config_dt option. The resolution of my limited-area mesh is 3km so the config_dt value must be 3*6=18 and the config_len_disp value is set to 3000.0.
Thank you very much for your help!

Hi mgduda,
After changing the config_dt option, my model can run a few times, but I got the error:
Beginning MPAS-atmosphere Error Log File for task 6 of 40
ption
Opened at 2021/04/09 15:56:34
----------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR: MPAS IO Error: Bad return value from PIO
Please help me to solve this problem!
Thank you in advance.