Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Creating LBCS using MPAS global simulation output

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yuanlian

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a simple way of creating LBCS using MPAS global simulation output, e.g., from output.nc? Or we have to use WPS to create ungrib intermediate file? If the latter is the only option, is there a tutorial/description for generating intermediate file from MPAS output using WPS?

Thanks,
Yuan

We do have some experimental code for interpolating LBCs for a regional MPAS simulation from global MPAS output. However, we don't have any tools for interpolating ICs for regional MPAS simulations from global MPAS output, as this requires a bit more work to handle masked land-surface fields. I'll try to clean up and document the LBC interpolation code soon, and once I've done that, I'll make it available on GitHub and follow-up here. Thanks for your interest in this!