Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

get all time step outputs into one history file

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

wrfpup

I am looking at some NCL scripts for plotting MPAS output and it appears they are wanting a single history file for say, a 24h forecast. Right now I have history files output at 3h intervals, but I would like to have one history file that contains each of these history writes (for a 24h forecast) instead. How can one do that? TIA.

To get many times in one output file you can add the 'filename_interval' attribute to an output stream in your streams file and set it to accordingly to your needs. For instance, if your output interval is 2 hours and you set filename_interval to "12:00:00" you would get three files, two with six times each and one with one (after the very final time step). Setting filename_interval to "none" will put all output into a single file.

Here are some examples:

Code:
<stream name="output"
        type="output"
        filename_template="history.2562.$Y-$M-$D.nc"
        filename_interval="none"
        output_interval="2:00:00" >

<file name="stream_list.atmosphere.output"/>
</stream>

Code:
<stream name="output"
        type="output"
        filename_template="history.2562.$Y-$M-$D_$h.nc"
        filename_interval="06:00:00"
        output_interval="2:00:00" >

<file name="stream_list.atmosphere.output"/>
</stream>

Lastly, if you would like more information you can checkout section 5.2 of the MPAS-Atmosphere Model User’s Guide.