Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

sample running problem

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

dashline

hello
I am trying to run the example in http://mpas-dev.github.io/. I download the files and run, but face the question below:
unable to open input file restart....... for stream 'restart'
unable to open input file .......nc for stream 'iau'
unable to open input file lbc....... for stream 'lbc_in'
unable to open input file ......sfc_update.nc for stream 'surface'
WARNING: Variable qi not in input file.
WARNING: Variable qs not in input file.
WARNING: Variable qg not in input file.
so I shutdown the four files by make "none" in streams.atmosphere in related places.
The unable disappear, but the warning remian.
And I also got the error below:
forrtl: severe (59): list-directed I/O syntax error, unit 16, file /vol6/home/tianxj/yhluo/mpas/120km_uniform_sample/VEGPARM.TBL

Can you attach your log.atmosphere.* files?

Are there any messages printed to your terminal screen (or to a stdout/stderr file that might be generated by your batch system, if you're using one)?

It's weird that I can't get a log.atmosphere.0000.err file, but only a log.atmosphere.0000.out file.
Moreover, I face similar error when I run the 2.3 part Model integration in https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/projects/mpas/tutorial/Boulder2019/index.html . I follow the tutorial in part2, and I smoothly finish the part 1&2.
My module list is below:
1) Intel_compiler/13.0 4) hdf5/1.8.11 7) git/1.9.5 10) wrf/4.1
2) mkl/13.0.0 5) netcdf/4.4 8) ncl/6.6.2 11) proxy/proxy
3) MPI/mpich/intel2013 6) pnetcdf/1.6.1 9) wps/4.1

Attachments

• log.atmosphere.0000.out.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 28
  • slurm-19053611.out.txt
    2 KB · Views: 26
  • ls.png
    ls.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 861
It looks like there may be some problem reading from the file /vol6/home/tianxj/yhluo/mpas/120km_uniform_sample/VEGPARM.TBL . Could you attach this file, and also post the output of the command "ls -lL /vol6/home/tianxj/yhluo/mpas/120km_uniform_sample/" ?

You may be able to get more information about the model failure by cleaning and recompiling the model with debugging options enabled using the following commands in your MPAS-Model source code directory:
Code:
make clean CORE=atmosphere
make ifort CORE=atmosphere PRECISION=single USE_PIO2=true DEBUG=true
Depending on whether you have PIO 1.x or PIO 2.x installed, you may need to omit USE_PIO2=true; in any case, the key is to add DEBUG=true to the build command.

The VEGPARM.TBL file in 120km_uniform is a link from /vol6/home/tianxj/yhluo/mpas/MPAS-Model-7.0/src/core_atmosphere/physics/physics_wrf/files/VEGPARM.TBL , so I upload the VEGPARM.TBL file in the real situation. And there is a small thing that I don't know whether it's related to the mistake. My servers systems don't allow me to download the MPAS-DATA by git or others, so I manually get the MPAS-DATA from the github and put it into the /vol6/home/tianxj/yhluo/mpas/MPAS-Model-7.0/src/core_atmosphere/physics/physics_wrf/files/. Furthermore, I need to add a "7.0" in the COMPATIBILTY file so that I can compile the atmosphere by make -j4 ifort CORE=atmosphere PRECISION=single . This is the small thing.

Attachments

• ls -lL 1.png
    ls -lL 1.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 833
  • ls -lL 2.png
    ls -lL 2.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 833
  • VEGPARM.TBL
    11.2 KB · Views: 27
When I clean and recompile the model:
Code:
make clean CORE=atmosphere
make ifort CORE=atmosphere PRECISION=single DEBUG=true
I remind something, the warning is happended when I compilie and recompile the model. The pictures below are the Warning I meet in recompiling.

Attachments

• MPAS.png
    MPAS.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 831
  • warning1.png
    warning1.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 831
  • warning2.png
    warning2.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 831
After recompiling the model with DEBUG=true and rerun the integration. The Slurm becomes these in the picture!

Attachments

• rerun.png
    rerun.png
    77 KB · Views: 828
dashline said:
And there is a small thing that I don't know whether it's related to the mistake. My servers systems don't allow me to download the MPAS-DATA by git or others, so I manually get the MPAS-DATA from the github and put it into the /vol6/home/tianxj/yhluo/mpas/MPAS-Model-7.0/src/core_atmosphere/physics/physics_wrf/files/. Furthermore, I need to add a "7.0" in the COMPATIBILTY file so that I can compile the atmosphere by make -j4 ifort CORE=atmosphere PRECISION=single . This is the small thing.

I think this may be the source of your problem. The physics lookup tables (including the VEGPARM.TBL file) in the default branch of the MPAS-Data repository are not compatible with the MPAS-Model v7.0 release. The correct physics lookup tables need to be obtained from the v7.0 tag in the MPAS-Data repository. Note the following -- in particular, the last sentence -- from the src/core_atmosphere/physics/checkout_data_files.sh script:
# If none of the methods used in this script are successful in acquiring the
# tables, please attempt to manually download the files from the MPAS-Data
# repository at https://github.com/MPAS-Dev/MPAS-Data/. All *.TBL and *DATA*
# files, as well as the COMPATIBILITY file, should be copied into
# a subdirectory named src/core_atmosphere/physics/physics_wrf/files before
# continuing the build process. In general, one should obtain the lookup
# tables from a tag in the MPAS-Dev repository whose name matches the version
# of the MPAS-Atmosphere code; e.g., for MPAS-Atmosphere v7.0, one should
# use the tables from the v7.0 tag in the MPAS-Data repository.

Thanks, mgduda. My problem seems to be solved. I follow your guidance: recompile the MPAS with MPAS-DATA-v7.0. And hope the Forum and MPAS prosper
mgduda said:
I think this may be the source of your problem. The physics lookup tables (including the VEGPARM.TBL file) in the default branch of the MPAS-Data repository are not compatible with the MPAS-Model v7.0 release. The correct physics lookup tables need to be obtained from the v7.0 tag in the MPAS-Data repository. Note the following -- in particular, the last sentence -- from the src/core_atmosphere/physics/checkout_data_files.sh script: