Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error creating static file

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

weathertom

I've gotten a couple of errors when running the init_atmosphere_model to create the static fields grid, but was able to solve those by creating symbolic links for some of the WPS directory names (which were different from what it was looking for). However, I'm still getting one, and am not sure which WPS directory it is trying to read, so am not sure what to make for a symbolic link.

Specifically, I'm getting an "error reading global 30-arc-sec landuse for GWD statistics". It says it is using the GMTED2010 terrain dataset and is looking for files in .../geog/landuse_30s/. I do not have that directory. I do have a MODIS landuse directory with 30s resolution, but that doesn't seem right given it says it's looking for GMTED2010. I also have several orogwd directories, which would seem appropriate since they are for gravity wave drag, but they are only at resolutions of 10m, 20m, 30m, 1deg, and 2deg.

Can any provide some insight on what it is looking for. Thank you.

I've just posted a reply to what looks like the same issue here: http://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5562 .

Generally, it shouldn't be necessary to create symbolic links to directories with different names. Can you list exactly which symbolic links you've had to create? If the directories have different names, they likely contain different datasets which may be incompatible or different in some critical way. I would therefore suggest that your static file shouldn't be trusted until we can obtain datasets whose directories have the correct name from the outset.

These are the links I had to make (to match up what things were named after untarring the WPS files).

landuse_30s -> topo_gmted2010_30s
greenfrac -> greenfrac_fpar_modis
modis_landuse_20class_5m -> modis_landuse_20class_5m_with_lakes
modis_landuse_30class_30s -> modus_landuse_20class_30s_with_lakes

I think the links you've made would not result in a correct static file. For example, the "landuse_30s" directory should contain 30-arc-second USGS land cover data, while the "topo_gmted2010_30s" directory contains 30-arc-second terrain data.

MPAS-Atmosphere shouldn't need the "modis_landuse_20class_5m" data, as these are just a lower-resolution version of the "modis_landuse_20class_30s" data. Here are the direct links to download the missing datasets:

greenfrac
landuse_30s
modis_landuse_20class_30s

Sorry for the confusing nature of downloading these data. The geographical download for the WRF Pre-processing System previously contained all of the datasets needed by MPAS-Atmosphere, but this is apparently no longer the case. At a minimum, we should probably update our documentation, but better still, we could probably produce a single .tar.gz download that would contain exactly those datasets needed by MPAS-Atmosphere.

Could you try deleting any symbolic links you've created, and instead downloading the datasets from the links above? If you're still encountering errors in creating the static file, I'll be glad to help further!

Thank you for the quick reply. That was my suspicion as well, which is why I asked for clarification. I'll make the changes and redo things and see how it goes.

I ran into the same problem with landuse_30s when initializing MPAS v7.0 following the April 2021 tutorial. Has there been any update on the static files since June 2019?

Error reading landuse tile /tools/WPS_GEOG//landuse_30s/00001-01200.00001-01200
ERROR: Error reading global 30-arc-sec landuse for GWD statistics
ERROR: ****************************************************************
ERROR: Error while trying to compute sub-grid-scale orography
ERROR: statistics for use with the GWDO scheme.
CRITICAL ERROR: ****************************************************************

nuochen said:
I ran into the same problem with landuse_30s when initializing MPAS v7.0 following the April 2021 tutorial. Has there been any update on the static files since June 2019?

Error reading landuse tile /tools/WPS_GEOG//landuse_30s/00001-01200.00001-01200
ERROR: Error reading global 30-arc-sec landuse for GWD statistics
ERROR: ****************************************************************
ERROR: Error while trying to compute sub-grid-scale orography
ERROR: statistics for use with the GWDO scheme.
CRITICAL ERROR: ****************************************************************

nuochen, this suggests to me that perhaps dataset is not being found correctly. Do you want to ensure that it is at the location mentioned? (/tools/WPS_GEOG//landuse_30s/00001-01200.00001-01200)

mcurry said:
nuochen, this suggests to me that perhaps dataset is not being found correctly. Do you want to ensure that it is at the location mentioned? (/tools/WPS_GEOG//landuse_30s/00001-01200.00001-01200)

Thank you! I'm so sorry, I didn't change the WPS_GEOG directory path in the namelist.init_atmosphere. It is solved now!