Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Bad return value from PIO when interpolating real-data initial conditions

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yuyangyang0709

When I want to interpolate real-data initial conditions and generate the "init.nc" file, there will be some errors "Bad return value from PIO". I use the "15-km – 3-km" mesh, and set "config_native_gwd_static = false". I also set "config_block_decomp_file_prefix=x5.6488066.cvt.part.".

I find that there is only "x5.6488066.cvt.part.256" in the mesh, could I use more cores? How to find other ".cvt.part." files? May be the ".cvt.part." file is relation to the error "Bad return value from PIO". Then, do I have to use "cvt" partition file rather than regular METIS partition file in the MPAS v7.0 when interpolating static, geographical fields and interpolating real-data initial conditions?

Here are my log files. If I make any mistakes, please point them out. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Attachments

• log.init_atmosphere.0000.out.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 52
  • log.init_atmosphere.0000.err.txt
    539 bytes · Views: 57
  • namelist.init_atmosphere.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 53
  • streams.init_atmosphere.txt
    952 bytes · Views: 52
Apologies for the lack of any reply for so long! Because some 3-d fields for the 15-3 km mesh may be larger than what is permitted by the default CDF-2 output file format, you may just need to set
Code:
io_type="pnetcdf,cdf5"
in the definition of the "output" stream in the namelist.init_atmosphere file.

The special "cvt" partition files require some non-trivial work to produce, and so we have only included the x5.6488066.cvt.part.256 file with the 15-3 km mesh download. If you need access to more aggregate memory, you could try under-subscribing the nodes on your computing cluster (e.g., if you have nodes with 32 cores, use just 16 MPI tasks per node and a total of 16 nodes when processing the static fields). Note that the special "cvt" partition file is only needed when processing static fields; when creating initial conditions or when running the model, you can use Metis to produce partition files as described in Section 4.1 of the User's Guide.