Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Troubles creating LBC lateral boundary files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

davegill

Staff member
I am trying to set up and run a regional MPAS domain.

I have the following for my "india" domain:
  • 1. india.grid.nc
    2. india.static.nc
    3. india.graph.info
All of the three above came from the create_region python script from https://github.com/MiCurry/MPAS-Limited-Area.
  • 4. india.graph.info.part.36
This file was created following the instructions for running metis, source at http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/views/metis.
  • 5. india.init.nc
This file is from running init_atmosphere program.

My trouble is that I do not see how to generate india.lbc.nc. The only changes that I make from the previous run of init_atmosphere (which made the initial condition file) is to the namelist file (the case went from 7 to 9, and the start and stop dates are different):

namelist.init_atmosphere:
Code:
&nhyd_model
    config_init_case = 9 
    config_start_time = '2020-10-21_12:00:00'
    config_stop_time = '2020-10-22_12:00:00'

Here is the streams file for init_atmosphere. This worked OK for generating the IC files.
Code:
<streams>
<immutable_stream name="input"
                  type="input"
                  filename_template="india.static.nc"
                  input_interval="initial_only" />

<immutable_stream name="output"
                  type="output"
                  filename_template="india.init.nc"
                  packages="initial_conds"
                  output_interval="initial_only" /

<immutable_stream name="surface"
                  type="output"
                  filename_template="x1.40962.sfc_update.nc"
                  filename_interval="none"
                  packages="sfc_update"
                  output_interval="86400" />

<immutable_stream name="lbc"
                  type="output"
                  filename_template="india.lbc.$Y-$M-$D_$h.$m.$s.nc"
                  filename_interval="output_interval"
                  packages="lbcs"
                  output_interval="3:00:00" />

</streams>

When I set the immutable_stream (name input) to the static file, I am told that I need vertical information. When I set the immutable stream (name input) to the init file, I am told that I cannot have input and output be the same file.

As mentioned in the online tutorial in Section 4.3 under "There are a few points worth making...":

The MPAS stream manager infrastructure will complain if an input stream and an output stream share the same filename_template, so the filename_template for the "output" stream must be set to some other filename; since "init case" 9 only writes the "lbc" stream, we an make up any filename we like for the "output" stream.

(I've also just noted the typo "we an make up")

We should probably mention this peculiarity in the User's Guide. Catching this in the init_atmosphere code might be a little more difficult, since the stream manager generates this error when it -- rather than LBC-specific code -- scans through the set of streams that have been defined.