Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

About ideal case of just Flux operator and also Shallow water wave

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

kaomiao

Hi,

On the MPAS webiste, there are only three ideal tests and all for 3-D. Where can I find the ideal tests just for flux operator construction or the case of shallow water wave case? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Mei

Hi all,

I have compiled the core_sw and successfully generated the sw_model. However, there is a crucial problem when running the ./sw_model with the x1.2562.. mesh, as following,

" CRITICAL ERROR: Dimension 'nTracers' required by field 'tracers' was neither read nor defined. "

Do anyone know how to solve this or give me some tutorial for running this core?

Thanks,
Mei

The MPAS shallow-water model is minimally maintained and generally not supported, unfortunately. However, if you'd like to experiment with it, you can use any of the meshes available on the MPAS-Atmosphere mesh download page after making one change in the "src/core_sw/Registry.xml" file. You'll need to change this line in the <dims> tag:
Code:
              <dim name="nTracers"/>
to look like this:
Code:
              <dim name="nTracers"           definition="1"/>
The short explanation is that, in the past, we prepared input mesh files that defined one or more passive tracers to be transported in the shallow water model; but, the MPAS-Atmosphere meshes don't provide any tracers by default, so the "nTracers" dimension is not present in these mesh files.

Dear Mgduda,

I have run the SW core with some test cases (change the option in namelist.sw). Most of the cases are fine, however, the result of test case 6 (Rossby-Haurwitz Wave) seems not that right, part of show bellow, the variable is "h" here.
initial condition:
Picture1.png

after one day:
Picture2.png

after four days:
Picture3.png

In fact, I think for this case the shape should not change, do you know what's the problem? Thanks a lot !
Btw, the mesh is x1.40962 and I have tried other resolution, got almost same results.

Best regards,
Mei