Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

CFS sst update problem

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jzhyustc

I am using CFS sst as MPAS sst-update. However, CFS has low resolution and it does not include in-land lakes. One example is:
vjxqUEx.png

So if I start MPAS with GFS initial condition, and update sst from CFS, I get consistant cold temperature near coastal region and in-land lake, for example:
siNxHKK.png

One can clearly see the cold regions compared with the initial GFS surface temperature:
HYVwtwA.png

I am wondering if there is some way to handle this issue? Thanks!

Can you check whether your CFS intermediate files contain a 'LANDSEA' field? Without this field, I think the init_atmosphere core may use land points from the CFS to interpolate to water points in the MPAS mesh near coastlines. You can use the 'rd_intermediate' utility that comes with the WRF Pre-Processing System to check whether your intermediate files contain a 'LANDSEA' field.

A suggestion to solve the problem.

#!/bin/bash

for file in `ls -1 ocnf* `
do
wgrib2 cdas1.t00z.pgrbh01.grib2 -match LAND -append -grib_out $file
done