Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

latent heat nudging (LHN) using 3DVAR

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

imaiello_1983

Dear all,

I have a question:
is the LHN implemented into WRF/WRFDA?

I should have assimilate using WRF-3DVAR the vertical profile of latent heat retrieved from radar or rainfall data.
So I have to main problems:

1) probably write an algorithm to retrieve the vertical profile of latent heat from radar or rainfall data
2) and then, assimilate this profile into WRF-3DVAR.

I know that there is both a spectral nudging and an observation nudging into WRF,
could they help me?

I hope in your answer,
best regards
Ida Maiello

Dear Lukas,

thank you so much for your response and for suggesting a very interesting article for me involved into radar data assimilation for 10 years!

Do you know something about FDDA (four-dimensional data assimilation), also know as nudging, implemented into WRF?

https://nar.ucar.edu/2018/ral/real-time-four-dimensional-data-assimilation-rtfdda-and-forecasting-advances

Best regards,
Ida