Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problem with SEVIRI radiance assimilation in WRFDA - version 3.9.1 AND 4.1.5

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

detlef

Dear All,
when I try to assimilate SEVIRI files (from NCEP GDAS Satellite Data - ds735.0) I have this problem (from rsl.out.0000):

WARNING FROM FILE: da_read_obs_bufrseviri.inc LINE: 299
Unknown platform: 70

This occurs with MSG1, 2 and 3.
I read that, in previous WRFDA versions, there is a (fixed) bug (source: http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfda/updates-3.9.html).
(solution: de-allocations of several variables are moved from outside of do-loop to inside).

But the new version of the file "da_read_obs_bufrseviri.inc" appears correct and the bug fixed.
Any suggestion for me ?
Thanks !
D.

Platform ID 70 is for Meteosat-11, aka MSG-4.
The new satellite is not implemented in WRFDA.
You will need to modify the WRFDA code yourself.

hclin2018 said:
Platform ID 70 is for Meteosat-11, aka MSG-4.
The new satellite is not implemented in WRFDA.
You will need to modify the WRFDA code yourself.

I tried to understand how and where to make the changes. But I did not succeed.
Can you give me more detailed information on the files to be modified?
Many thanks !

detlef said:
Dear All,
when I try to assimilate SEVIRI files (from NCEP GDAS Satellite Data - ds735.0) I have this problem (from rsl.out.0000):

WARNING FROM FILE: da_read_obs_bufrseviri.inc LINE: 299
Unknown platform: 70

This occurs with MSG1, 2 and 3.
I read that, in previous WRFDA versions, there is a (fixed) bug (source: http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfda/updates-3.9.html).
(solution: de-allocations of several variables are moved from outside of do-loop to inside).

But the new version of the file "da_read_obs_bufrseviri.inc" appears correct and the bug fixed.
Any suggestion for me ?
Thanks !
D.

Sorry if I come back to the same issue...
I also tried with version 4.1.5 of WRF. And the same error appears.
Would anyone know how to help me?
Could it be a problem with the CRTM coefficients?

thanks!