Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Assimilating radiances from NCEP gdas files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

tiziana

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to assimilate the ATMS radiances into my WRFDAv3.9.1 over Hawaii from the NCEP file:
gdas.t12z.atms.tm00.bufr_d linked to atms.bufr

In the namelist I have:
&wrfvar18
analysis_date="2020-10-15_12:00:00",
/
&wrfvar19
/
&wrfvar20
/
&wrfvar21
time_window_min="2020-10-15 10:24:00",
/
&wrfvar22
time_window_max="2020-10-15 13:36:00",

The assimilation is successful but it only assimilates one of the two available ATMS passages. Ideally there is a JPSS (ATMS) passage at ~11UTC and a following one at about 12:40UTC near Hawaii. The gdas files should (or it seems) to contain both passages, but it only assimilate the one at 11 UTC. I even tried catting together the gdas.t12z.atms.tm00.bufr_d and gdas.t18z.atms.tm00.bufr_d, but still the assimilation reads only the very first passage and disregard the following one.
Any advice on how to include both passages or just the second one? Is there any other operation needed on the bufr files or option in the namelist?

Thank you very much for any help with this.
Aloha and ciao,

Tiziana.