Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRDDA does not assimilate radar observations

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sekluzia

Dear Colleges,

I am trying to assimilate radar observations with WRFDA v4.0. I have radar observations in ascii format, our radar measures only radar reflectivity, and I assigned the reflectivity observational errors with 2.0 dBZ constant value (ob.radar file is attached). The namelist file is also attached. You can see in my log.out file (attached) that the WRFDA does not show any error, but no radar observations is assimilated. The format of ob.radar file should be correct. Could you please check? If there are wrong settings in my namelist file, please, let me know.
You can upload the fg file (fg.nc) from:

https://figshare.com/s/7e8f7464a4c0e1bdc1a4

Artur

Attachments

• ob.radar.txt
    2.5 MB · Views: 104
  • log.out.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 88
  • namelist.input.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 109
Dear Colleges,

I managed to perform the radar assimilation with WRFDA-3DVAR.
However, after radar assimilation, the WRFDA shows humidity only around the radar reflectivity observation points, while showing zero humidity for the other part of the entire domain. Please, find attached the QVAPOR variable after radar assimilation at model level 25 (the same pattern is also for other model levels).
Please, also find attached my input and output files of radar assimilation.

Artur

Attachments

• radar_assimilation.tar.gz
    171.8 MB · Views: 94
  • QVAPOR_in_wrfvar_output.jpg
    QVAPOR_in_wrfvar_output.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 3,999