Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Pressure assimilation from SYNOP to Little_R

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

bchtirkova

I'am currently writing a code to transform SYNOP data to Little R format, guided by the tutorial on: http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfda/OnlineTutorial/Help/littler.html .

I have a question regarding the pressure assimilation. As you probably know, most SYNOP codes have 2 fields for pressure: 3pppp and 4PPPP, which correspond to Station Level Pressure and Sea Level Pressure accordingly.

In the header record for Little R there are a few fields, relevant to pressure or elevation, but if I understood the notes on the optional and unused fields correctly, none of them are used in the assimilation for FM-12 SYNOP.

In the data record, there are Pressure [Pa] and Height [m] fields. Is it correct to put the Station Pressure in the Pressure [Pa] field and the Station Elevation (which is the same as topography) in the Height [m] field?

Is there any way I can use the Sea Level Pressure, provided by the SYNOP, rather than the Station Pressure?