Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRFDA issue

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

c_giannaros

Dear all,

I would like to report an issue that I face during cycling data assimilation simulations using WRFDA V4.0 and WRFV4.0.2.

My configuration includes two nested domains. First, I apply a control simulation without assimilation (e.g., at 10/05/2018 00 UTC). Then, I apply an assimilation simulation for d02 using the d02 06 UTC forecast as first guess.

Both WRFDA and WRF are implemented successfully. When I plot the mean sea level pressure from the wrfinput files, I sea noticeable changes in the field (see attached images). However, when I plot the mean sea level pressure at the first wrf time step from the assimilation simulation, I see a completely different field (see wrfout_da_d02.png).

When I checked the base state and perturbation pressure, I see the above mentioned difference in the latter:
Pminimum = -0,25 hPa, Pmaximum = 10,2775 hPa in the control run
Pminimum = -25,0181 hPa, Pmaximum = 3,42492 hPa in the assimilation run

After the first time step the mean sea level pressure is consistent.

Could you please help me solving this issue? Is it a bug issue probably?

Please find attached the namelists that I use.

Thank you very much in advance!

Attachments

• wrfout_d02_CTRL_06Z.png
    wrfout_d02_CTRL_06Z.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 2,924
  • wrfout_da_d02.png
    wrfout_da_d02.png
    392 KB · Views: 2,924
  • wrfinput_da_d02.png
    wrfinput_da_d02.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 2,924
  • wrfinput_orig_d02.png
    wrfinput_orig_d02.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 2,924
This topic has been moved from the WRF Bug Report section to the WRFDA section. Someone will respond to your question soon.