Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRFDA reanalyses for analysis nudging?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

bartbrashers

This is a very obvious use-case to me, but I can't find any evidence that someone has done this yet.

For hindcasting (simulating the past, for multi-year periods) we often use analysis nudging. For domains with finer grid spacing than the input dataset (which is most domains for me) we objectively re-analyze the met_em files using OBSGRID, which produces metoa_em files. These are then fed to REAL, which produces the desired wrffdda_d0? files.

OBSGRID hasn't been updated in years. WRFDA should do a much better job even using the relatively simple 3DVAR option. Can it be used to provide better wrffdda_d0? files, or even metoa_em-style files?