Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

geogrid.exe and metgrid.exe not created when compiling WPS

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

davidwrf

Hi,
I have just downloaded the most recent version of WRF and WPS, following the instructions in
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php

All initial tests went fine, as well as the WRF compilation (for which I used option 33: smpar GNU gfortran/gcc).
However, compiling WPS failed. Only ungrib.exe was created (and not geogrid.exe nor metgrid.exe). In this case I chose option 1 gfortran (serial).

I found a similar issue posted in https://github.com/wrf-model/WPS/issues/110, where the problem is solved following the suggestion to "edit configure.wps by adding -qopenmp at the end of the lines that set WRF_LIB (after -lnetcdff -lnetcdf)".

Is that a known problem/kind of a bug?

David

Hi David,
Will you please attach the following files?
configure.wrf
configure.wps
wps compile log
wrf compile log

Thanks!

Hi,
Sure!

Thank you,
David

Attachments

• configure.wrf
    20.3 KB · Views: 82
  • wrf_log.compile
    777.1 KB · Views: 61
  • configure.wps
    3.3 KB · Views: 117
  • wps_log.compile
    117 KB · Views: 93
Hi David,
I apologize that I overlooked the fact that you said you were able to resolve the problem in your original post. I'm sorry for asking you to send the files.

This isn't really a bug. It's just that the metgrid and geogrid executables are compiled, making use of the I/O from the WRF compile. And when a shared memory option is chosen, the WPS executables are trying to link against the I/O, and they need additional OpenMP information. So adding the extension in the configure file helps to point it in the right place. This should, however, probably be documented somewhere. I'll make a note to add it.