Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

module_stringutil.F - invalid character

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

JSchmidt

Hey all,

after successfully compiling WRF, I am getting errors for the compilation of WPS.
Please see attached the files containing the logs and configuration.

The compiler is complaining about:

../../ungrib/src/module_stringutil.F
Error: Invalid character in name at (1)
make[1]: [module_stringutil.o] Error 1 (ignored)

Had anybody the same issue or ideas how to solve that?

Cheers,
Yianni

Attachments

• module_stringutil.F
    2.8 KB · Views: 35
  • configure.wps
    3.3 KB · Views: 43
  • configure.wrf
    20.3 KB · Views: 38
  • log_compile_wps.txt
    135.3 KB · Views: 42
  • log_compile_wrf.txt
    545.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi Yianni,
The version of GNU that you are using is pretty old. Since GNU is a free compiler, can you try a newer version of GNU to compile this to see if that makes any difference? You'll need to recompile WRF with the new GNU, as well. Please let me know the outcome. Thanks.

Before going through the effort of updating compilers, it might be worth first verifying that the "module_stringutils.F" file in the WPS/geogrid/src directory is a valid symbolic link to ../../ungrib/src/module_stringutils.F . For example, in my copy of the WPS code, I see the following in the geogrid/src directory when running "ls -l module_stringutil.F":
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 duda  mmm      36 Oct  3  2019 module_stringutil.F -> ../../ungrib/src/module_stringutil.F

@mgduda this was a great catch. I ran into the same problem and noticed that when I downloaded the WPS zip file from GitHub, the symbolic link wasn't preserved, and I got this error. When I properly cloned the repo using git, the symbolic link was preserved and WPS compiled.

So just a heads up: best to clone the repo than to download a zip file!

optism said:
@mgduda this was a great catch. I ran into the same problem and noticed that when I downloaded the WPS zip file from GitHub, the symbolic link wasn't preserved, and I got this error. When I properly cloned the repo using git, the symbolic link was preserved and WPS compiled.

So just a heads up: best to clone the repo than to download a zip file!
Thanks for the feedback! When I get a chance I'll test this myself, but I wonder whether the symbolic link issue is specific to the .zip downloads and not an issue for the .tar.gz downloads?