Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WPS fail compile macOS Big Sur

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

hernaldo_81

Hello everyone, please if you can help me. I have compiled WRF-4.3 on mac bigsur, however WPS-4.3 I have not succeeded. geogrid.exe, ungrib.exe, metgrid.exe do not appear.
Attached log.compile, to see if they can help me.

Thank you all, greetings.

Attachments

• log.compile
    198.2 KB · Views: 43
With the GNU 11 compilers, you may need to add -fallow-argument-mismatch to the list of Fortran compiler flags in your "configure.wps" file. For example, on a Linux system, appending -fallow-argument-mismatch to the definitions of FFLAGS and F77FLAGS allowed me to build the WPS with the GNU 11.1.0 compilers:
Code:
FFLAGS              = -ffree-form -O -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fallow-argument-mismatch
F77FLAGS            = -ffixed-form -O -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -fallow-argument-mismatch
The use of compiler flags to allow argument type mismatches is a workaround, and we should probably fix the WPS code.

I've opened an issue in the WPS repository (see Issue #180) to track the status of this issue. Hopefully we can get this fixed in the WPS v4.3.1 bugfix release.

Hi mgduda, thank you very much for the answer, it was the solution to my headaches when trying to compile WRF on macos. One last query, when trying to compile WRF and WPS in serial mode, the executables metgrid, ungrib and geogrid are generated, however when I try to compile WRF in smpar mode, WPS does not generate either metgrid or geogrid, the latter is due to the architecture of the macos machine? Best regards

I don't think the issue when compiling the WPS after WRF was compiled with an "smpar" option is specific to macOS, but rather, it's a general issue. See, e.g., this forum post and WPS Issue #110 . As described in Issue #110, can you try adding "-fopenmp" to your configure.wps file?