Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Ungrib compilation failed: Integer too big for integer kind 8

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

CarterHumphreys

Hi,

I was able to get WRF to compile without any trouble but WPS doesn't seem to finish correctly. When I run ./compile it goes for a few minutes and I get all 3 executables but all are 0 bytes.

I was following these directons https://github.com/DevinSmoot/HPC-Guides/blob/master/raspi_wrf_guide.md#building-wps for use on ARM processor. I also tried the official guide but was unable to with that either.

Attachments

• compile.log
    94.9 KB · Views: 53
  • configure.wps
    3.3 KB · Views: 44
The error message from the compilation log is
gfortran -c -ffixed-form -O -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 intmath.f
intmath.f:91:35:

if(iand(i,Z'FFFFFFFF00000000')/=0) then
Error: Integer too big for integer kind 8 at (1)
intmath.f:95:9:

endif
Error: Expecting END FUNCTION statement at (1)

Could you try compiling and running the following test program:
Code:
program i8size

implicit none

integer(kind=8)::i

write(0,*) huge(i)

stop

end program i8size
The goal is to determine whether the GNU 8.3.0 compilers on the Raspberry Pi are treating kind=8 integers as 32-bit integers or as 64-bit integers; if they're treated as the former, the test program should print "2147483647", and if the latter, it should print "9223372036854775807".

(Note: I've modified the title of this thread to more specifically describe the issue.)

I have had this same issue.

I ran this suggested test code:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ cat test.f90
program i8size
    implicit none
    write(0,*) huge(i)
    stop
end program i8size

Here is the version of gfortran I used:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (Raspbian 8.3.0-6+rpi1) 8.3.0
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Here is the output:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ gfortran test.f90 
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ ./a.out

The specifics of my machine:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Raspbian
Description:	Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:	10
Codename:	buster

Per Michael's suggestion, to build WPS, I tried:
Code:
git diff arch/configure.defaults
diff --git a/arch/configure.defaults b/arch/configure.defaults
index 2c66a47..9bad4a3 100644
--- a/arch/configure.defaults
+++ b/arch/configure.defaults
@@ -145,7 +145,7 @@ ARFLAGS             =
 CC_TOOLS            = 

########################################################################################################################
-#ARCH    Linux i486 i586 i686, gfortran   # serial serial_NO_GRIB2 dmpar dmpar_NO_GRIB2
+#ARCH    Linux i486 i586 i686 armv7l, gfortran   # serial serial_NO_GRIB2 dmpar dmpar_NO_GRIB2
 #
 COMPRESSION_LIBS    = CONFIGURE_COMP_L
 COMPRESSION_INC     = CONFIGURE_COMP_I

pi@raspberrypi:/mnt/mydisk/gill/WPS $ git diff ungrib/src/ngl/g2/intmath.f
diff --git a/ungrib/src/ngl/g2/intmath.f b/ungrib/src/ngl/g2/intmath.f
index f9fc6eb..d571eaa 100644
--- a/ungrib/src/ngl/g2/intmath.f
+++ b/ungrib/src/ngl/g2/intmath.f
@@ -88,7 +88,7 @@
          !write(0,*) 'iand i-1'
          ilog2_8=1
       endif
-      if(iand(i,Z'FFFFFFFF00000000')/=0) then
+      if(iand(i,int(Z'7FFFFFFF00000000',kind=8))/=0) then
          ilog2_8=ilog2_8+32
          i=ishft(i,-32)
          !write(0,*) 'iand ffffffff',i,ilog2_8

With the first mod, I can get the configure step to recognize the architecture. With the second mod, ungrib builds OK. I have run ungrib all of the way through WRF, so the decoded data must be OK.

I ran the test program and got...

pi@node1://home/pi/software/ncar-wrf_3.8.1/build/WPS $ gfortran -ffree-form i8size.f90
pi@node1://home/pi/software/ncar-wrf_3.8.1/build/WPS $ ./a.out

I am looking at your follow-up posts now Dave

Does the intmath.f code still compile if
Code:
int(Z'7FFFFFFF00000000',kind=8)
is changed to
Code:
int(Z'FFFFFFFF00000000',kind=8)
, which is what I originally suggested in GitHub Issue #159? Changing the MSB from "FF" to "7F" would change the semantics of the code, so it would be nice if "FF" worked.

I changed from FF to 7F and it compiled.

Got this...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
! Successful completion of ungrib. !
pi@node1://home/pi/software/ncar-wrf_3.8.1/build/WPS $ ./metgrid.exe
Processing domain 1 of 1
Processing 2020-12-01_18
FILE
Processing 2020-12-02_00
FILE
Processing 2020-12-02_06
FILE
! Successful completion of metgrid. !
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_OVERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG

Just to be clear, I was suggesting that davegill should try changing 7F to FF to match the semantics of the original code.

Michael,
It had been too long ago since I changed the ungrib code, I forgot about the need to swap the leading "F" to a "7".

I decided to dig in more now to see why this is happening on the pi. It turns out that this is one of the places where the standard allows a processor to choose what to do.

Here is the 2008 standard:
https://j3-fortran.org/doc/year/10/10-007r1.pdf

Section 4.7 paragraph 2 (the leading values are the line numbers), focus on lines 25-28.
Code:
19 The hex-digits A through F represent the numbers ten through fifteen, respectively; they may be represented
20 by their lower-case equivalents. Each digit of a boz-literal-constant represents a sequence of bits, according to
21 its numerical interpretation, using the model of 13.3, with z equal to one for binary constants, three for octal
22 constants or four for hexadecimal constants. A boz-literal-constant represents a sequence of bits that consists of
23 the concatenation of the sequences of bits represented by its digits, in the order the digits are specified. The
24 positions of bits in the sequence are numbered from right to left, with the position of the rightmost bit being zero.
25 The length of a sequence of bits is the number of bits in the sequence. The processor shall allow the position
26 of the leftmost nonzero bit to be at least z − 1, where z is the maximum value that could result from invoking
27 the intrinsic function STORAGE SIZE (13.7.160) with an argument that is a real or integer scalar of any kind
28 supported by the processor.

Here is your modified example code using the storage_size function:
Code:
program i8size
    implicit none
    write(0,*) huge(i)
    write(0,*) storage_size(i)
    stop
end program i8size

Here is the build and run, again, where we care about the output from storage_size:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ gfortran -std=f2008 test.f90

Line 25-27 above says "The processor shall allow the position of the leftmost nonzero bit to be at least z − 1, where z is the maximum value that could result from invoking the intrinsic function STORAGE SIZE...".

So in Fortran 2008, it is processor dependent what happens at bit position 64 of an integer(kind=8).

This is stated in a couple of other places that I usually trust:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/BOZ-literal-constants.html
"The Fortran standard states that the treatment of the sign bit is processor dependent."

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47192266/hexadecimal-constants
"The value is processor dependent because the most significant bit in the resulting value is one."

For more completeness, there are compilation flags to ignore the range on the integer values.

Here is the code with the offending line included:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ cat /mnt/mydisk/gill/test.f90 
program i8size
    implicit none
    write(0,*) huge(i)
    write(0,*) storage_size(i)
    write(0,*) int(Z'FFFFFFFF00000000',kind=8)
    stop
end program i8size

Here are the compiler flags to ignore the processor dependent issue, and the resultant output.
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/TOYS $ gfortran -std=f2008 -fno-range-check  test.f90

Using this new compiler flag, the ungrib program shows no diffs with cmp. However, this "no diffs found" statement cannot be said to cover every possible grib file.

FYI... after making the modification noted above, ungrib compiles, and the WRF runs. I only get this minor error upon completion of metgrid...
! Successful completion of metgrid. !
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_OVERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG

That is great news! The error message you are seeing is no concern. It was put in the code for testing purposes and should not cause any problems. Thank you for updating the post.