Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ERROR: Could not open /work/hu/alkhasoneh/geog_data_high_res/topo_gmted2010_30s/index

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

halkhasoneh

Hi,

I am trying to run WRF-ARW for the single domain case in the online tutorial.
When I am running geogrid.exe, I am getting the following error:

ERROR: Could not open /work/hu/alkhasoneh/geog_data_high_res/topo_gmted2010_30s/index
Warning: ieee_inexact is signaling
FORTRAN STOP

I have downloaded the high resolution geographical from this website:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/download/get_sources_wps_geog.html#mandatory

Appreciate any help with that.
Thanks.

The error message from geogrid ("ERROR: could not open ... /index") suggests that the geographical data may not have been unpacked in the directory specified in your namelist.wps file with the 'geog_data_path' variable. Could you try listing two directories and let us know the result?
Code:
ls -l /work/hu/alkhasoneh/geog_data_high_res
ls -l /work/hu/alkhasoneh/geog_data_high_res/topo_gmted2010_30s
If the first of these 'ls' commands gives an error message indicating "No such file or directory", could you verify that you've unpacked the geog_high_res_mandatory.tar.gz file in /work/hu/alkhasoneh ? Note that unpacking the tar file usually results in a subdirectory named 'WPS_GEOG'.