Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) modifying land use in WPS files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

saraazadi

Hello, I am trying to modify the land use at the specific part (wetland) of my case study, but how can I do this in ArcMap? in two cases: first I want to consider the wetland with full water and other case is modifying land use to soil or salt category...how can it be projected exactly?could you please help me to modify it? should I modify geo_em.d01 -d04 files? and also met_em.d0* files?

Best regards

Sara

Sara,
The easy way to modify landuse is to change the lu_ibdex in wrfinput. We provide the utility to modify variables in WRF-related files. Please see
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Tools/read_wrf_nc_options.php

You an always use the SPECIAL option : -EditData VAR to modify a specific variables.

Dear Chen
Thank you very much for your guidance, excuse me I could not find the solution yet, here is my email address, could you please send me an email? s.azadi89@yahoo.com I will appreciate you if you can advise me. many thanks in advance.

Best
SARA

Sara,
What is the problem when you try to modify landuse? Have you downloaded the utility code read_wrf_nc.f90 posted in WRF user website?
Please post your issues in WRF/MPAS forum. In this case other people who have the similar problem may benefit from the communication and solutions.

Dear Ming Chen
Thank you for your reply, in fact I have learned the model recently and I could not understand the way to modify the land use yet... excuse me in which interface should I do this? should I edit wrf.bdy also? could you explain the details by email or here? if I edit the land use in geo_em.d0*. files, is it enough? or should I edit met_em.d* file also? could you please help me to convert the wrfinput file in ctl format to netcdf format? I will be so tankfull of you.

Many thanks

Best regards

Sara

Sara,
Landuse (lu_index) is a 2D array in geo_em, met_em and wrfinput files. met_em files get this information from geo_em, and wrfinput files get this information from met_em. Once lu_index is changed in geo_em, these changes will automatically go to met_em and wrfinput. Since it is time-invariant, you can change it in either geo_em or wrfinput.
read_wrf_nc.f90 allows you to change lu_index either in geo_em or in wrfinput. I would suggest to change it in wrfinmput, which is more straight-forward. In this case, you don't need t rerun metered and real.
After you run real.exe, wrfinput will be generated in netCDF format. Where did you get wrfinpout in .ctl format? I know that .ctl is for Grads description and it is not a format for data.

Dear Ming
Thank you very much for your informative reply, yes I have did that to ctl in Grads as I could not understand exactly the format of wrfinput files.
The problem are now these:
- I have gfortran (GCC) compiler on my sys, I could not install pgf90 on fedora v25, after this how can I detect the wetlant which is located in my study area? I must change the lu_index for that from default to water index
then I must change lu_index to condition that the wetlant has no water, in this case it has bare soil with salt, which category should I select? (using of MODIS land use, 20 class_30arc_sec)

Thank you for taking your time
Best

Sara,
I would suggest you read documents and publications related to WRF and also related to the issues you are addressing. Without basic understanding of the model, the data, the physics and related issues, it is hard to do the work.

Dear Ming
thank you for your advise, yes I do.
I have modifed LU_INDEX in geo_em.d* files, excuse me one more question, should I manipulate LANDUSEF categories too?
and for visualization of wrfout_d0* files which program would you recommand?

Many thanks
Kindest regards
Sara

Sara,
Please don't modify landuseF, which is used to derive lu_index. You only need to modify lu_index,which is the variable used in wrf.exe.

Dear Ming
Thank you very much for your guidance,
I have modified LU_INDEX in geo_em.d0* files, in google searching I have seen the users modified LANDUSEF too, to be sure in this case that I am manipulating of geo.em files ,only the lu- index changing is enough?

And what more setup maybe must I do to run wrf.exe for this modification of landuse?

Best
Sara