Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Changes needed for using NLCD?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

lslrsgis

Dear WRF Community,

I wish to generate a detail map for urban region using default NLCD datasets in WPS GEOG package (cagetories 31, 32, 33). Do I need to change namelist.wps options, such as geog_data_res?

Thanks,

LSL

Yes, you will need to add whichever set you wish to use to the default setting. For e.g., if you are using the nlcd2011_9s data, then the namelist line should be:
Code:
geog_data_res = 'nlcd2011_9s+default'
for each domain

Thanks for the response. I have got NLCD outputs.

It seems that NLCD2011 has 40 categories with urban (23-26). When using this information with NUDAPT for WRF-urban, 33 categories LC are needed. Does that means I have to 1) truncate categories (34-40) as converting them back to MODIS or USGS classification and (2) remapping 23-26->31-33 as indicated in UCM user's mannual?

And if so, in which step (static geog files/wps/real) should I do this classification conversion? Since urban para & veg para depends on the LC types.

LSL

Hi,
I believe the answer to your question is "yes," since that is what is required by the UCM, and instructed in the UCM users' guide. If you weren't using the UCM, you would just treat NLCD data like anything else, having it encompass the 40 categories, but since you are also trying to use the UCM, you'll need to follow the UCM guidelines. It's probably best to do this with the geo_em* files.