Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Time to execute GEOGRID

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jozamm

Hi,

I am new to WRF and WPS and currently I am setting up the domain for weather forecasting. According to the user manual I need to make a Global Run. The domain type used is the 'lat-lon' with a 30km grid spacing. There will be nested domains with a smaller grid spacing.

The issue I am facing right now is that geogrid is taking a long time to complete for domain 1 with a grid size of 30km, It has been running for more than 7hours processing the 'GREENFRAC' field. Is it normal for geogrid to take this long? It is utilizing 1 processor at 100% capacity. The dataset used is the highest resolution fields from https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/download/get_sources_wps_geog.html#mandatory

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jozamm

Jozamm,
That seems like a very long time to be running. You said "according to the user manual I need to make a Global Run." Do you need a global run for your particular simulation? Are you trying to forecast for the entire globe? If not, then I would suggest reducing the domain drastically for your purpose. Additionally, we don't really recommend using WRF for global simulations anymore. You may want to consider taking a look at our MPAS model, which was originally built as a global model, and is much better at scaling, and therefore runs much faster, without having to use a very small time-step. WRF was originally built as a regional model, and some developers later added a global component, but it is not highly tested, and no longer developed, so we cannot always guarantee that you will get good results - just depending on your application.