Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error in ext_pkg_write_field

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Carulli

Hello, i am trying to run the following exercise https://ruc.noaa.gov/wrf/wrf-chem/tutorialexercises/tutorialexercises001.html
When i try to run metgrid.exe, the following error appear:

Processing domain 1 of 1
Processing 2010-07-14_00
FILE
Processing 2010-07-14_03
FILE
ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_OVERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_DENORMAL

I have the last version of WPS and WRF. My namelist.wps is attached below.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    753 bytes · Views: 35
If metgrid.exe can successfully process data of 2010-07-14_00, it indicates that the code is fine. This is more likely a data issue. Can you look at the size of the files, and also check the content of the files by running rd_intermediate.exe?

The size of the file 2010-07-14_00 is 168,5 MB, and the size of the file 2010-07-14_03 is 114,3 MB. The size of the next file which is going to be processing (2010-07-14_00) is 168,5 MB again. When i run rd_intermediate.exe , the process finish correctly. However, the content of the file 2010-07-14_03 is lower than the other two.

Metgrid.exe has generated two files: met_em.d01.2010-07-14_00:00:00.nc (size: 3,1 MB and can be checked with ncdump -h) and met_em.d01.2010-07-14_03:00:00.nc (size: 32 bytes and cannot be checked with ncdump -h, the following error appear: NetCDF: Unknown file format).

So i think you are right and is a data issue. However, i cant generate the data with ungrib.exe because in this exercise the intermediate files are given, so i cant do anything in order to fix it.

Thanks for your help.

If you are running this case just for practice and try to get familiar with the model system, I would suggest you don't use the intermediate file downloaded from the website. You can always start from the right beginning, i.e., run geogrid, ungrib and metgrid. I suppose this is a better way to learn and you will avoid the trouble that the old data are not consistent with the updated model.