Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Read WRF Intermediate Format data files for analysis in Python or R

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Chang_Shu

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has ever dealt with the WRF Intermediate Format data files, which are for the input of the metgrid.exe program.
I am doing future projections of the climate data using the NCAR CESM Global Bias-Corrected CMIP5 Output to Support WRF/MPAS Research dataset (https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds316.1) as the boundary inputs.
Before the simulation in WRF, I would like to analyze these boundary conditions first to select which year for the simulation.
But I notice that the files provided by the CESM dataset are in the BINARY format.
I normally use Python and R to process the data in NetCDF format, but I am not familiar with these BINARY format files.
Could anyone please let me know if there is any tool/package to read the BINARY file and extract data from it?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience on this type of BINARY files,

Chang

Hi Chang,
There are programs available for reading and plotting intermediate formatted data. Take a look at this presentation (specifically slides 15-18) and see if that is helpful.