Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Modify interval between metgrid output files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

userwrfch

Hi,

Can you please tell me if there is an option to set the metgrid output files interval? For now, the interval is the same as the interval of the input data:
interval_seconds = 3600 will result in hourly metgrid files. Is there a way to set the interval higher (e.g. daily) such that I will have less but larger metgrid files (i.e., instead of 24 metgrid files per day with 1MB I would like to have 1 metgrid file per day with ~24 MB). I couldn't find it in the documentation.

Thank you very much!

If I've understood correctly, you would like to write several time periods to the same metgrid file, similarly to what can be done with the WRF "frames_per_outfile" option. Unfortunately, the metgrid program is only able to write one netCDF file per time period.