Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field in metgrid (WPS v4.0)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

davdg000

Hi

I am having problems running the metgrid.exe. I have the version 4.0 of WPS and geogrid.exe and ungrib.exe have run successfully. But metgrid.exe are not. I have re-compiled whole WPS again, and have the same problem. The input data is from the GFS , the Geographical Static Data is from UCAR and I have two domains.

When running metgrid, it manages to generate some output files from the fisrt domain (met_em.d01.2021-07-06_*.nc), but in a moment it stops and produces the following error without even finishing the first domain:

ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_OVERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_DENORMAL

The last lines in the metgrid.log are:

2021-07-18 23:25:40.438 --- INFORM: Field LANDSEA.mask does not have a valid mask and will not be checked for missing values
2021-07-18 23:25:40.442 --- Initializing output module.
2021-07-18 23:25:40.445 --- ERROR: Error in ext_pkg_write_field

I don't know what's wrong. I will be very grateful for any help.
Attached to this message the files namelist.wps, metrgid.log and geogrid.log.

Thanks!

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    1.3 KB · Views: 45
  • metgrid.log
    516.3 KB · Views: 45
  • geogrid.log
    23 KB · Views: 40
Hi,
This error typically indicates that you're missing some mandatory surface data. Take a look at this FAQ that states the mandatory fields, and make sure you have them for the surface and soil.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I found the error: the ungrib.exe uses a lot of hard disk and I did not have free space, it gave an announcement of a successful run, but it did not really write the whole intermediate files.