Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ERROR: Gaussian_latitude_computation

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

meteoipb

Hi!!
I use the project data ERA-Interim for April 29, 2017 for box with coordinates: latitude = 33 - 44, longitude = 128 - 147 (It's territory of Japan). When working metgrid.exe for the indicated box, the program aborted with the following error:
Processing 2017-04-29_00
FILE
Oops, something is not right with the Gaussian latitude computation.
The input data gave the starting latitude as 43.860.
This routine computed the starting latitude as +- 89.463.
The difference is larger than 0.01 degrees, which is not expected.
2021-09-22 10:58:03.107 --- Getting input fields from FILE
2021-09-22 10:58:03.114 --- Processing TT at level 200100.000000.
2021-09-22 10:58:03.133 --- ERROR: Gaussian_latitude_computation

If I recall correctly, the ungrib program only supports global Gaussian grids -- limited-area subsets of Gaussian grids aren't supported, unfortunately. Does ungrib run successfully if you use the full global dataset?

Hi!
I work with limited grids and there were no problems. The problem may be that ground level data were missing for this area. But I added it to Metgrid.tbl. (fill_lev= 200100:(100000). But in the REAL program I did not sent : use_surface=.false. I do not know how to do it . I read about this in forum publications https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=75. The question is not resolved.

I don't think lack of surface fields would lead to the error
Oops, something is not right with the Gaussian latitude computation.
The input data gave the starting latitude as 43.860.
This routine computed the starting latitude as +- 89.463.
The difference is larger than 0.01 degrees, which is not expected.
If you can do so, I would strongly recommend trying to use the full, global dataset as a test to see whether that resolves the "ERROR: Gaussian_latitude_computation" problem.

When you say that you "work with limited grids and there were no problems", were these other limited-area grids subsets of a Gaussian grid, or were they limited area subsets of other types of grids (e.g., regular latitutde-longitude)?

Hi,
I believe Michael is right, --- the ungrib program only supports global Gaussian grids.
if the global data is in regular lat-lon grid, then ungrib can process a subset of the global data.

Hi!
Oh sure. I worked for the territory of Ukraine, and now for the territory of Japan, surrounded by the ocean. I think that problems are connected with this. I will try to choose the maximum possible data for the surface.