Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

SMOPS Vtable

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Dears.
I hope you are doing well.
I want to use soil moisture from SMOPS, which one sample is attached. However, I need to prepare its Vtable. I did so, but I'm not sure if it is correct. I'll be thankful if you help me to ensure about its Vtable.

Sincerely
Ehsan

Attachments

• SMOPS.rar
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
Hi,
Can you please attach this as a *.tar file instead? Unfortunately we aren't able to open a *.rar file here. Thanks!

Dear Kwerner
Thanks a lot for your nice reply.
I've attached SMOPS.tar file. I hope this could be useful.
I should mention a point. It's clear I want to use SMOPS soil moisture data in WRF. It seems soil moisture data in WRF should be 3D, however in Vtable.smpos which I prepared, all soil moisture data are prepared as 2D, not 3D. SMOPS data are from 5 cm top of soil. So SMOPS data are just for one layer. On the other hand, land surface model in WRF, like Noah, need 4 layer soil moisture. I think the problem is how to prepare a correct Vtable for SMOPS data and then how to use SMOPS one layer data in WRF, which its land surface models need more than one layer.

I'll be thankful if I hear from.
Sincerely
Ehsan

Attachments

• SMOPS.tar
    9.1 MB · Views: 60
Hi,
In your Vtable, you have many lines with different codes and different names. The metgrid and real programs are only expecting 1 line/name per level or layer of soil moisture. In all my previous experience, the variable "soil moisture" has only been supplied as a single variable (per level/layer) from the forcing model. For example, in the GFS Vtable, it's listed like:
Code:
 144 | 112  |   0  |  10  | SM000010 | fraction| Soil Moist 0-10 cm below grn layer (Up) |  2  |  0  | 192 | 106 |
 144 | 112  |  10  |  40  | SM010040 | fraction| Soil Moist 10-40 cm below grn layer     |  2  |  0  | 192 | 106 |
 144 | 112  |  40  | 100  | SM040100 | fraction| Soil Moist 40-100 cm below grn layer    |  2  |  0  | 192 | 106 |
 144 | 112  | 100  | 200  | SM100200 | fraction| Soil Moist 100-200 cm below gr layer    |  2  |  0  | 192 | 106 |

You will need need at least two levels of soil data for running WRF with the LSM's. The only option that works with 1 level is the thermal
diffusion scheme (option 1). Unfortunately if you aren't able to obtain the data in that format, then you may need to write some sort of program that can do some conversions. We don't currently have anything that can do any such thing. I would recommend perhaps contacting the group that manages the dataset and see if they are able to offer assistance.

Dears,
I've changed SMOPS.Vtable as attached. So I've just used BLENDEDSM data from SMOPS data, with grib2 parameter 210. However, I've used SM000010 name, as we have this name in METGRID.TBL. This data will be used for 1st layer (0-10cm). Other three layers (10-40,40-100, and 100-200cm) will use GFS data.
Now, it works and it uses SMOPS data. But, the problem is that there is negative values in met_em.d0* files. I've attached one met_em.d0* file, too.
So, I decided change METGRID.TBL:
fill_lev = 10 : SM000010(200100)
to
fill_lev = 5 : SM000010(200100)
As we know SMOPS data are for 5 cm layer.
Also removing following lines in other try:
interp_mask=LANDSEA(0)
missing_value=-1.E30
in the part
name=SM000010
However, they didn't change the result, and negative values in met_em.d0* files remained.
So, my question is, whether negative values in met_em.d0* files are important? How could I run metgrid.exe with SMOPS data, and without negative values in met_em.d0* files? I should mention, SMOIS varibales in wrfout* files doesn't have negative values!
I've attached new Vtable.SMOPS, also namelist.wps, met_em.d0, and one SMOPS data.
I'll be thankful if I hear from you.
Sincerely
Ehsan

Attachments

• SMOPS_run.rar
    4.9 MB · Views: 52
Hi,
Can you package the same files together, but put them in a *.tar file instead? Unfortunately we are unable to open a .rar file here. Thanks!

Ehsan,
Yes, I apologize for the delay. I was working on it and our supercomputer started having problems that have been ongoing since last week. I was able to look at this again and finally figured out the problem. The only change you need is to add the line:
Code:
missing_value=0.
to your METGRID.TBL entry for SM000010. So it should now look like:
Code:
========================================
name=SM000010
        interp_option=sixteen_pt+four_pt+wt_average_4pt+wt_average_16pt+search
        masked=water
        fill_missing=1.
        missing_value=0.
        flag_in_output=FLAG_SM000010
========================================

Let me know if that works for you, and thank you for your patience.

Dear Kwerner
Firstly, pardon me to ask you the question multiple times.
Your guidance has helped me much.
It seems work, met_em.d0* files don't have negative values.

Sincerely
Ehsan