Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Running the metgrid program with the TAVGSFC?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sekluzia

Dear Colleges,

I just want to know, are there any experience or results showing that using the the metgrid program with the TAVGSFC is better than without that? In which situations this option is relevant, i.e for mountain topography, or only for the areas which include large inland lakes, or when using coarse/high-resolution forcing data?

For example my results (for few cases) show better simulations with TAVGSFC for precipitation simulations forced with 9 km ECMWF data? Opposite is for 2 meter temperature simulations forced by ~25 km GFS data. Does that make sense? The study area is characterised with mountain topography and one more or less large lake (60 km long and 15 km wide).

Best regards,
Artur

For cases that include inland lakes over high topography area, TAVGSFC might be helpful to improve the model performance. The quality of the forcing data is also important in this case. High quality data with fine resolution should give better results.