Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problem Ungrib: Data Not Found- New GFS data

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ism+1990

Dear All,

When downloading GFS data, I noticed that the size of the downloaded files is larger than the old GFS files (Almost double ~ 300 MB per file). When running the command: ./ungrib.exe, I get the following error message:

ERROR: Data not found: 2019-07-06_06:00:00.0000

I searched in the internet (also the WRF forum) for possible explanations to the problem and solutions and this is what I found:

1- Typing error on namelist.wps (- instead of _) [I checked, I do not have this problem]
2- The table Vtable miust be changed [I downloaded a new Vtable table from http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/download/free_data.html that I tested and I still have the same error ] (see file Vtable (new) attached)
3- Ungrib binary must be updated to another version due to new GFS updates

Can someone tell me how to upgrade ungrib binary or tell me what is the source of error and how to solve it? I would also like to know if there is a way to be notified of such GFS changes or any other changes that may affect the WRF forecast.

Thank you very much in advance,

Attachments

• error_WRF.png
    error_WRF.png
    776.4 KB · Views: 4,732
GFS has been updated to include the FV3 dynamic core on 12 June 2019. Correspondingly, the GFS data is also updated. Please run WPSv4.0 and newer version to ungrid the GFS data. Let me know if you still have problems to ungrib the data.

Dear Mrs Ming Chen,

Thank you for your reply. The problem is still persisting.

Here are the exact steps I followed:

1- I Put the new Folder WPS4(contains the new version WPS) in my Desktop
2- I Went to this folder using cd /home/osboxes/Desktop/WPS4/
3- I typed sudo ./configure
I was asked to do two things consecutively:
Task 1: "Enter full path to NetCDF unclude directory on your system:"
My reply 1: /home/osboxes/Desktop/WRFV3/netcdf_links

Task 2: "Enter full path to NetCDF library directory on your system:"
My reply 2: /home/osboxes/WRFV3/netcdf_links/lib/

My answers were based on the information I found in the file "configure.wrf" in my WRF folder (WRFV3)

4- I typed sudo ./compile
a link named "ungrib.exe" was created.

5- I copied that link to the WPS folder contained WRF simulation folder that holds the previous ungrib.exe and then restarted the usual steps:
- gedit namelist.wps &
- ./geogrid.exe
- ./link_grib.csh /home/osboxes/Desktop/wrfsimulation/GFS/20190707/gfs.t00z*
- ./ungrib.exe
at this final step the problem occured.

Could you please tell me where was I mistaken?

Thank you very much again in advance!

Please link the Vtable.GFS included in WPV4.0 and newer versions to ungrib your GFS data.
if you still have problems, please send me your namelist.wps, and tell me where you downloaded the GFS data.

Dear Mrs Ming Chen,

Thank you again for your support. Unfortunately the problem is still persisting.

At first, I used this command to create a soft link to Vtable.GFS:

ln -s ungrib/Variable_Tables/Vtable.GFS Vtable

I had an error saying that the Vtable doesn't exist. I copied the Vtable.GFS to the working directory of WPS and renamed it "Vtable" and retried and had the same error I had before of the ungrib problem.

Please find attached the a screenshot of my error and the namelist.wps file.
View attachment namelist.wpserror GFS.png

Concerning from where I download GFS data, I use a Python script to download data from this server:
http://www.ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/

Remark: I am using WRF Solar (WRF 3.6) to forecast DNI and SRTM data (90 m resolution) to be used in WRF

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Please download the GFS data from
https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds084.1/index.html#sfol-gl?g=20190822
then rerun ungrib.exe.
I ungrib the GFS data over the same period shown in your namelist.wps, and the job is done successfully.
The issue you have is probably related to the data from NCEP. I don't think it is a code issue.

Dear Mrs. Ming Chen,

My apologies for the late reply.
I tried to download the data from the link you gave me: https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds084.1/index.html#sfol-gl?g=20191016 using a generated python script from the same website (download2.py) but it didn't work.

Please find attached the python script i used before to get the data (get_fs.py).

Do you have a suggestion about how to modify my script to get the data easily?

Thank you very much again Ma'am.

Best regards,
Ismail

Attachments

• download2.py
    1.5 KB · Views: 91
  • get_gfs.py
    747 bytes · Views: 106
Dear Mrs. Ming Chen,

I have contacted Mr. Riley Conroy, mentionned in the generated scripted and now everything is fine concerning the GFS part.
He explained to me that this link https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds084.1/i ... g=20191016 is the link for the local glade storage, and that instead I should access the following link:

https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds084.1/index.html#!access

and click on "web file listing" to get the public repository. (or go here https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds084.1/index.html#sfol-wl-/data/ds084.1)
From there, you can select your files and download a python script that will appropriately download the files from the internet.

Thank you very much again Mrs Ming Chen and also to Mr Riley Conroy.

As soon as I make the tests on the WRF part I will get back to you!

Best regards,
Ismail

Dear Mrs Ming Chen,

I hope you are doing very well.

I have followed your instuctions and the ungrib.exe worked but with the following error :

new message wrf.PNG

What could be the error?

Please find attached the namelist I used. Thank you very much again Ma'am

Best regards,
Ismail

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    1 KB · Views: 122
Please check the GRIB files you linked for running ungrib. This error message indicates that the GFS file for 2019-10-23_06 doesn't exist.

ism+1990 said:
Dear All,

When downloading GFS data, I noticed that the size of the downloaded files is larger than the old GFS files (Almost double ~ 300 MB per file). When running the command: ./ungrib.exe, I get the following error message:

ERROR: Data not found: 2019-07-06_06:00:00.0000

I searched in the internet (also the WRF forum) for possible explanations to the problem and solutions and this is what I found:

1- Typing error on namelist.wps (- instead of _) [I checked, I do not have this problem]
2- The table Vtable miust be changed [I downloaded a new Vtable table from storage companies near me https://gjmoving.com/ that I tested and I still have the same error ] (see file Vtable (new) attached)
3- Ungrib binary must be updated to another version due to new GFS updates

Can someone tell me how to upgrade ungrib binary or tell me what is the source of error and how to solve it? I would also like to know if there is a way to be notified of such GFS changes or any other changes that may affect the WRF forecast.

Thank you very much in advance,

how was the issue resolved?

I am not sure which version of WPS you are using. It is possible that older version of WPS cannot process new GFS data.
Please update your WPS to the latest version (WPSv4.2), then try again and let me know if you still have the same issue.

This is a long email loop. Please clarify that you have the same issue "ERROR: Data not found: 2019-07-06_06:00:00.0000".
If this is your problem, please let me know what GFS data you ungrib?
I just download the data gfs.0p25.2019070606.f000.grib2 from CISL RDA website. ungrib and metered both work fine to process this data. I tested WPSV4.1 and WPSv4.2, and the two versions of WPS both work.
Please also double check your namelist.wps to make sure you specify the correct date.

Hi Chen,

I have gone through everything in this loop, but nothing helps me to resolve the erroe.
The error is same as in this thread.
i.e,
*** Starting program ungrib.exe ***
Start_date = 2021-11-28_00:00:00 , End_date = 2021-11-28_06:00:00
output format is WPS
Path to intermediate files is ./
bn_read.c: Is a directory
Error reading GRIB: IERR = 2
Subroutine DATINT: Interpolating 3-d files to fill in any missing data...
Looking for data at time 2021-11-28_00
ERROR: Data not found: 2021-11-28_00:00:00.0000

Kindly go through the namelist and help with this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    758 bytes · Views: 35
@vivi_richard,
Please issue the following in your WPS/ directory:
Code:
ls -ls GRIBFILE* >& gribfile.txt
and then please attach the gribfile.txt file.

Side note: I notice you're running a 2-domain simulation, but the start/end dates for domain 2 do not correspond with domain 01. They should at at least start at the same time. This isn't important for running ungrib, which only looks at the date/time information for d01, but it will matter when you run metgrid.