Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Stop without warning in long simulations

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Saszalez

Hi everyone.

I have a problem when I try to do a long simulation, above five years. I put it in the Ungrib subforum as that is where I got the error on the last try, but it sometimes happens in Metgrid. When I want to run more than five years, assuming six, the preprocess stops without printing any errors, even increasing the debug. When the simulation becomes five years or less, there is no problem, the preprocess ends successfully, and the WRF runs without a problem. Is there a time limit for the runs that need to be modified?

Hi,
It could potentially be due to a disk space issue. Is it possible you're running out of disk space in the directory where you are outputting files? Does it always stop exactly after 5 years?

The disk space is not the problem, it is practically empty, and there is space available. It does not stop precisely in year 5. If I simulate, say, 10 years, it stops in year 5, 4 months, 12 days, and at 06 hours. If I rerun the same simulation, it stops again on the same day and time, but if I modify domain, variables, etc., it may stop on a different day, but always between years 5 and 6.

Can you send a namelist file for one of the cases where it is stopping, along with the full run-time error log (e.g., rsl.error.0000)? Thanks.