Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Using GFS files with hourly and 3 hours intervals

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

janac4

Hello,
I want to run a 10-days simulation. As input data for ungrib program I'm using GFS. For such a long period, there aren't gfs files at hourly interval. I downloaded gfs every hour for the first five days, and for the other five I got gfs at 3-hour interval.
I wanted to know if it was a problem when running ungrib, but it worked fine. I assume ungrib program interpolates the missing hours with the other files, but I wanted to know it for sure in case it could affect wrf outcome.
Thanks.

Hi,
That is correct. If you set interval_seconds = 3600, ungrib will perform temporal interpolation to create a file for every hour. Prior to running real.exe and wrf.exe, you can again set interval_seconds=3600 in namelist.input and it shouldn't be a problem.