Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

CMIP6 MPI-ESM

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

mkilian

Hi,
since some time I try to run WRF with CMIP6 MPI-ESM data. I try to create met_em files over South America
and got no errors in WPS. I adapted the Vtable and the METGRID.TBL according to CMIP5 simulations and
the available variables. With soil moisture and soil temperature I run into strange effects on the coast line.
(see attached file). I try to implement the MPI-ESM landmask as LANDMASK in both Vtable and Metgrid.tbl
but the effect won't disappear.

WRF-Simulations do usually crash with a seg-fault after a short simulation period.

Has any one a clue who to fix this?

Attachments

• met_em_soilm003.png
    met_em_soilm003.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,502
HI,
The issue you have is related to landmask inconsistency. Apparently there exists discrepancy between the WRF model landmark and CMIP6 soil information, which leads to wrong interpolation along the coast.

Please take a look at this document https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/presentation_pdfs/201907/duda_wps_advanced.pdf.
In slides 29-36, we demonstrate how to add new landmask to metgrib.tbl so that the soil data can be correctly interpolated.

Hope this is helpful for you.