Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Downscaling of GFS single file

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

janac4

Hello, I want to compare WRF output with two nested domains with input GFS data. To do so, I would like to process GFS files to obtain wrfout for every hourly input file in the desired domain (matching the case with nesting).
I was thinking about doing 1h runs every time with a different gfs file as input ubgrib data, but this results in two wrfout files (the start hour matching GFS timing and the next hour). I tried doing run_hours=0 in namelist.input but I get no output. Should I only keep only the first file for every simulation?
Is there a way to do this single downscaling of GFS files without having WRF to integrate over time?
Thanks in advance,
Jana.

Jana,
GFS analysis is at 6-hour interval and GFS forecast is at 3-hour interval. So it will be more reasonable if you compare WRF outputs at either 6-hour interval or 3-hour interval with GFS data.
When you run real.exe, you can set "all_ic_times = .true." (&time_control). This option will allow real.exe to output wrfinput at the time interval of incoming forcing data (e.g., 3-hour or 6-hour interval GFS forcing data). These wrfinput files can roughly represent GFS. You can then compare your wrfout with these wrfiput files at the corresponding time.
I hope this is helpful for you.

Hello Ming Cheng, thanks for your answer.
I am using GFS files at 1-hour interval for forecasting (after 120h they are given every three hours but I just want to use 96h). My intention is to use wrfout files at every run (with run_hours=1) to compare wrfout files resulting from a nested run.
I was thinking about running ungrib, metgrid and geogrid program for all times and then using a loop when running real and wrf.exe. I looked at both wrfout files that I get when running only 1 hour of simulation and found that the first one has RAINC and RAINNC set to 0 and variables such T2 or Q2 have a default value, so I assumed it would be better to use the second wrfout created, after time interpolation.