Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) How to Include Sea Ice data for Polar WRF

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Yang_7Ke

I have installed Polar WRF in my computer.

The Installation Instructions shows that I need some sea ice, like this:
To run with polar options it's best to have the flags enabled for sea ice, sea ice albedo and sea ice thickness:
:FLAG_SNOWSI = 1 ;
:FLAG_ALBSI = 1 ;
:FLAG_ICEDEPTH = 1 ;
in the met_em.d01.YYYY-MM-DD_HH:00:00.nc files (output of WPS)

However, I don't know how to download the related data sets, and how to use data sets.

Nevertheless, I already made some attempts(failed),
Step 1, Downloaded data sets from: https://nsidc.org/data/nsidc-0079
Step 2, Created Vtable:
GRIB1| Level| From | To | metgrid | metgrid | metgrid |GRIB2|GRIB2|GRIB2|GRIB2|
Param| Type |Level1|Level2| Name | Units | Description |Discp|Catgy|Param|Level|
-----+------+------+------+----------+---------+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------+
91 | 1 | 0 | | SEAICE |fraction | Sea ice fraction | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1 |
-----+------+------+------+----------+---------+-----------------------------------------+-----------------------+
Step 3, Link data:
./link_grib.csh /home/yang7kewu/UbuntuFiles531G/DATA/WholePolar_fnlds083p2/SeaIce/bt*
Step 4, Executed:
./ungrib.exe
Error occurred:
ERROR: Grib2 file or date problem, stopping in edition_num.

Appreciate any help!

Hi,
Unfortunately our group does not develop or support the Polar WRF version of the model. It was developed by a group at Ohio State University. Their webpage can be found here:
http://polarmet.osu.edu/PWRF/

Perhaps they have a contact or support group that would be able to help you.