Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

SST historical data download

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

cross

I'm tryineg to download NOAA SST high resolution from ftp://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/history/sst/rtg_high_res
but it only has the last 10 days.
I need the data for the 2015 and 2019 years, but I haven't been able to find them. Does any one knows where are these files?

cross85 said:
I'm tryineg to download NOAA SST high resolution from ftp://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/history/sst/rtg_high_res
but it only has the last 10 days.
I need the data for the 2015 and 2019 years, but I haven't been able to find them. Does any one knows where are these files?

You can try this:
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/cgi-bin/db_search/DBListFiles.pl?did=132&tid=80229&vid=2423

If the data is in netCDF, you can skip ungrib, but you need to read those netCDF files, then write intermediate format data.

ERA5 has hourly 5. I downloaded 6 hourly for my initial condition. I have successfully completed my simulation only to find out that the output SST values of my WRF simulation from the supposedly hourly ERA5 data is daily data, after all. Have you experienced this? Can anyone confirm if the expected SST output is indeed daily using ERA5 hourly initial condition.

ERA5 has hourly data available for download so I went for 6 hourly SST data for my initial condition. I have successfully completed my WRF simulation only to find out that the output SST values of my simulation from the supposedly 6-hourly ERA5 data is daily data, after all. Have you experienced this? Can anyone confirm if the expected SST output is indeed daily using ERA5 hourly initial condition.

Since SST is slowly varying, the SST data in ERA5 doesn't show any diurnal cycle. It even doesn't show clear daily changes.

The plots below show SST from ERA5 at different times:
ERA5.000001.png
ERA5.000002.png

The plot below is time series of SST in 1-month period at one specific ocean point:
ERA5.000003.png

cross85 said:
I finally changed to ERA5 as input data. The SST can be downloaded alone if anyone wants them.

Hi @cross85

Did you manage to run your simulations with ERA5 SST? I am running with GFS and additional ERA5 SST data, but I'm having some problems related to landsea mask. Which Vtable did you use? Did you use only SST from ERA5? And did you include the "Invariant data" as well?

When I run metgrid without the "constants_name = 'ERA5_INVARIANT'" option, it runs ok, but then I get the following error message when running real.exe - grid%tsk unreasonable

When I run metgrid with the "constants_name = 'ERA5_INVARIANT'", I get the message "ERROR: Cannot combine time-independent data with time-dependent data for field LANDSEA.mask"

I tried to use ERA-inteirim and ECMWF Vtables.

Any insight will be very much appreciated.

Hi @bkbainy
I'm now using ERA5 as input for ungrib, so SST is part of it.
Try to follow this instruction to download and run ungrib:
https://dreambooker.site/2019/10/03/Initializing-the-WRF-model-with-ERA5-pressure-level/
Maybe you can use the single level sst and land-sea mask.
after that you can add them to the metgrid input.

I haven't tried mixing ERA5 sst with other input sources, so I don't know if there is some incompatibility.

Thank you very much, @cross85.

Yes, I tried that option with SST and Landsea mask, but didn't manage do work that out.
I might just change my datasets and get everything from ERA5... It actually seems more logical.