Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) New GFS v15.2 from 7th Nov. 2019: wrf error: Flerchinger USEd in NEW version

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

n1o1o3n

Hi,

I am struggling with handling the new GFS v15.2, which was updated on 7th November 2019.

When I carried out a simulation for November 2019 using GFS v15.2, I got the following error messages from rsl files;

- rsl.out.xxxx
Code:
 Flerchinger USEd in NEW version. Iterations=          10

-rsl.error.xxxx
Code:
 WARN5: NaN temperature; I,J,L,P=          51          84           1
            NaN

I understand in general the former message often appears when the simulation leads to divergence.
But, given the above messages do not appear when old version v15.1 is used and the latter message appears right after the simulation started, this is not due to divergence but something related to the version up.

So, I am guessing that the current WPSv4.2 does not support the latest version of GSF.
FYI, I tried using both Vtable.GFS and Vtable.GFSSOIL2 prepared in WPSv4.2, but nothing has changed.

Please kindly let me know if my conjecture is correct or not. Also, it would be appreciated if you could advise me on how to solve it.

Best,
Shogo

Hi Shogo,
WPS is able to handle the upgrade to GFS data in Nov 2019. There were very minor changes with the update and we didn't notice any problems. Can you attach the namelist.input file you're using? Thanks!

Hi kwerner,

Thank you for your reply.
I finally found out the cause.

ungrib.exe is not wrong, but metgrid.exe had a problem in reading the intermediate files.
More precisely, I am guessing the format of GFS has not been changed but the treatment of missing values has been changed?

Originally, in METGRID.TBL, -1.E30 is set as a missing value for variables SMxxxxxx and STxxxxxx. But for the new version of GFS output, we have to use 0 as the missing value.
With the modification, we were able to solve the problem.

Hope this helps the next WPS update.

Shogo