Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

NAM Vtable: Issue with subsoil level

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

SMin_WRF

Good day,

When running ungrib.exe, I get the following error message: "Subsoil level 3 in the GRIB2 file, was not found in the Vtable".

In the NAM grib file, I see that for soil temperature, there are five layers with the same discipline, category, parameter, and level code. Can that be the cause for this error, where ungrib is using this last layer and confusing things up.

num Prod_Disc Cat Param Lvl_code Lvl_one Lvl_two Prod_Templ Name
340 2 0 2 106 0 10 0 TSOIL
343 2 0 2 106 10 40 0 TSOIL
346 2 0 2 106 40 100 0 TSOIL
349 2 0 2 106 100 200 0 TSOIL
352 2 0 2 106 300 0 0 TSOIL

Also, this error does not appear in the ungrib.log, and I only see it on the terminal.

I have attached the following:
- Vtable.NAM
- ungrib.log
- Screenshot of error on terminal because it does not appear in the log
- My namelist.wps
- Screenshot of the grib parameters for Soil temperature

I am using WRF Pre-Processing System Version 4.2. I downloaded grib files from both NCAR-RDA and NOAA-NCDC to test and the issue is present in both. The file format is grib2.

Thank you,
Samar

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    2.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Terminal error.jpg
    Terminal error.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • ungrib.log
    110.9 KB · Views: 46
  • NAM_Vtable.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Grib_soiltemp.png
    Grib_soiltemp.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,067
Hi,
This likely isn't really an error. The program is just reading through the available data and you have more data in your NAM file than the Vtable calls for. This is very often the case with meteorological input data. Once you run metgrid, check to see how many soil levels you have in your met_em* files. I believe you should have 4 levels. If so, then you are safe to continue.