Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Hourly forecast from each initial hour

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

xkcd_xkcd

Hi,
I am a new WRF runner. I just wonder can WRF do hourly forecast from each initial hour of one day. For example, can WRF do hourly forecast from 0000, 0100, 0200, 0300...... of a particular day.
If can, what dataset can I use?
Thank you in advance to anyone who could help me with this matter.

Best,
Peng

Peng,
WRF can run for real-time forecast with hourly output. You need to download forecast data produced by other models (e.g, GFS) to provide initial and lateral boundary forcing for WRF run.

Thanks for your reply Ming.

In the real world, people do hourly forecast every 6 hours using the initial time 0000, 0600, 1200, 1800 (4 times forecast per day). But this dataset is too coarse for my study.
What I want to do is do forecast from each initial hour(That is 24 times forecast per day), not just hourly output. I just wonder is it feasible to do this forecast, or maybe limited by the input data.

I'm sorry if the questions I have are very obvious.

Peng

Peng,
You surely can run WRF for 24-hour forecast, suppose you have lateral forcing data. For example, let's assume you initialize the model at 00 UTC, and you have 3-hour interval GFS forecast for the next 24 hours. Then you can run wrf initialized at 00 UTC, and save wrfout files every hour. You will have 25 wrfout files, which represent your hourly forecast for the next 24 hours since the initial time of 00 UTC.

Ming Chen said:
Peng,
You surely can run WRF for 24-hour forecast, suppose you have lateral forcing data. For example, let's assume you initialize the model at 00 UTC, and you have 3-hour interval GFS forecast for the next 24 hours. Then you can run wrf initialized at 00 UTC, and save wrfout files every hour. You will have 25 wrfout files, which represent your hourly forecast for the next 24 hours since the initial time of 00 UTC.

Ming,

Can I initialize the model at 01 UTC and 02 UTC? More generally, Can I initialize the model at any initial hour I want? I think this idea may be limited by the data of lateral boundary condition.

kind regards,
Peng

Peng,
You are right that you can initialize WRF at any time you want. For real-time forecast, the only limitation is the availability of data. Once the data is available, you can initialize WRF at any time and run forecast over the period that the forcing data is available.