WRF V4.0 compilation error on Debian with gfortran-8.3

All topics related to compiling WRF, including environment set-up, and library installation
davdg000

WRF V4.0 compilation error on Debian with gfortran-8.3

Post by davdg000 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Hello

I am trying to compile WRF V4.0 on my computer with Debian and gfortran-8.3. I am following the compilation guide given by UCAR on the page https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTut ... torial.php.

The problem I have is at compilation time of the model. I have already done all the compiler tests successfully, then I ran the command ./configure and finally I do the compilation. In the log.compile file it shows me the following error:

f951: Fatal Error: Reading module ‘module_state_description’ at line 3216 column 10: Unexpected EOF
compilation terminated.
make[1]: [../configure.wrf:348: ../dyn_em/module_big_step_utilities_em.o] Error 1 (no tiene efecto)
make[1]: *** No hay ninguna regla para construir el objetivo '/home/davdg/Programas/WRF/WRF/external/esmf_time_f90/module_utility.o', necesario para 'ndown_em.o'. Alto.
make[1]: se sale del directorio '/home/davdg/Programas/WRF/WRF/main'
make: *** [Makefile:511: em_real] Error 2

Appreciate any help and suggestions on this errors and solve it for successful compilation.

The compile.log and configure.wrf files are attached here for your reference and diagnosis.

Thanks!
DavidG
Attachments
log.compile
(216.05 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
configure.wrf
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

momodiallosn

Re: WRF V4.0 compilation error on Debian with gfortran-8.3

Post by momodiallosn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi,
I not sure but could you try changing FC = $(DM_FC) with FC = time $(DM_FC) in configure.wrf.
When I looked at your log file its seems that you have some issue with build ESMF_Alarm.o with the following dependencies ESMF_Alarm.o : ESMF_Alarm.F90 ESMF_Time.o ESMF_TimeInterval.o ESMF_Base.o .
Maybe if you add the time FC flag it may solve your problem.
Good luck

kwerner

Post by kwerner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi David,
If the above suggestion works, please let us know. Otherwise, can you compile again with only 1 processor? Issue the following commands:
./clean -a
export J="-j 1" (this is for a bash environment. If you're using a different shell, the command may differ slightly)
./configure
./compile em_real >& compile.log

and then send your new configure.wrf and log.compile files. Thanks!
NCAR/MMM

davdg000

Post by davdg000 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:24 am

momodiallosn wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:21 pm
Hi,
I not sure but could you try changing FC = $(DM_FC) with FC = time $(DM_FC) in configure.wrf.
When I looked at your log file its seems that you have some issue with build ESMF_Alarm.o with the following dependencies ESMF_Alarm.o : ESMF_Alarm.F90 ESMF_Time.o ESMF_TimeInterval.o ESMF_Base.o .
Maybe if you add the time FC flag it may solve your problem.
Good luck
Hi,

I tried this solution but the compilation doesnt run. I attach configure.wrf and log file.

Thank you anyway.
Attachments
log.compile
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
configure.wrf
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

davdg000

Post by davdg000 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:30 am

kwerner wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm
Hi David,
If the above suggestion works, please let us know. Otherwise, can you compile again with only 1 processor? Issue the following commands:
./clean -a
export J="-j 1" (this is for a bash environment. If you're using a different shell, the command may differ slightly)
./configure
./compile em_real >& compile.log

and then send your new configure.wrf and log.compile files. Thanks!
Hi,

Thanks for the help, however it still does not compile. The same compilation problem remains, the same message appears in the log as before:

f951: Fatal Error: Reading module ‘module_state_description’ at line 3216 column 10: Unexpected EOF
compilation terminated.
make[1]: [../configure.wrf:348: ../dyn_em/module_big_step_utilities_em.o] Error 1 (no tiene efecto)

I attach configure.wrf and log file.

Thanks for the suppirt, guys!
Attachments
configure.wrf
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
compile.log
(596.7 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

kwerner

Post by kwerner » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 pm

Hi,
I would like you to try something. First I want to know the exact specs for the Debian Linus you're using. Please issue the following:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/os-release >& linux.txt
I'm also attaching a script that I want you to put in your WRF/external/esmf_time_f90 directory and then execute it. Do not attempt to clean the WRF code or anything before issuing it. Just leave it as-is and send the output from that script, along with the linux.txt file you created in the step before. Thanks!
Attachments
wrf_compile_script.csh
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
NCAR/MMM

Return to “WRF Compiling/Installation”