Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

two versions of WRF installation

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sd16121

Dear Colleague,

I use Linux to install WRF3.8.1 and WRF4.3 simultaneously, and would like to know whether the new version will overwrite the old version? When I run anyone of them, will the other one has impacts on it?

Best wishes,
Stella

Hi Stella,
As long as you've build the two versions in separate directories, it should be fine, and they will not interact with each other.

Hi Colleague,

Thanks for your kind help. One more question:
I would like to install WRF3.8.1 and WRF4.3 on BC4, but both require setting the configuration environment in .bashrc file, which locates in mnt/storage/home/sd16121

Because I must build the two versions in separate scratch directories, which may change the DIR path (see below):
exprot DIR=/mnt/storage/scratch/sd16121/Build_WRF/LIBRARIES

If I use the same DIR path, whether the two versions will have mutual interference?

Best regards,
Sichan

Sichan,
Unless you are using different libraries to build the two versions of WRF, it should be fine to use the same setting for $DIR. By the way, "DIR" is just a generic name that was given to the path. You can set this to anything you'd like, and if you do need two versions of it, you could set something like "DIR1" and "DIR2."