Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Output files for dm+sm configuration with WRF v4.4

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Hello,
I have compiled and run WRF v4.4 with dm configuration for the last 3 days. The new netCDF-4 parallel features (https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/commit/e01862402a) worked really well (with a dm setup) as far as the few tests that these few days have permitted. However, and when I chose a dm+sm configuration, WRF compiles and runs but it doesn't output the wrfout files. When I revert io_form to 2 (instead of 13), then it works fine and outputs the wrfout files. My question is if when WRF is compiled as dm+sm, do you still need to set io_form to 13 or is there another value that needs to be used?
Thanks,
Arturo

Arturo,
Our HPC was finally up and running today, so I was able to test this, and I see the same thing you are. I will need to dig into the code a bit to try to figure out what's going on, so it may take a little time. Thank you for reporting this and for your patience.

Actually, I'd like to update my post from yesterday. I was seeing that issue when I compiled the code with GNU, but when I compile with ifort, it behaved as it should. What compiler were you using?

Hi Kelly,
Over the weekend I went back over all the moving pieces and the output of wrfout was finally working. The fix was to include -DNETCDFPAR among ARCHFLAGS. Not sure why configure didn't include it (or why I oversaw it earlier) but it seems (to me) that the problem is with configure, not with the code itself.
Regards,
Arturo

Arturo,
I'm really glad to hear you were able to find a solution, and I hope this will help someone else along the way. Thanks for the update!