Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Configuring WRF and processor/compiler options

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

skew_t_pie

I have a question regarding compatibility of processors and/or compilers with WRF. I want to run WRF on a machine using an ARM processor (Cortex-A9 MPCore). I'm using my personal computer to install/compile WRF to get used to everything and test. I have an Intel Xeon natively, but have both ifort and gfortran compilers. On the list of options when configuring WRF, ARM is not listed but several of the compilers are compatible with the ones listed. My question is does the processor have to be one of those listed? Or will it be suitable so long as the Fortran/C compilers are compatible with both the processor and the program? I'm no software engineer so any guidance is helpful.

This is just arm waving (does that pun count)?

If you are given several options in the configure step, go ahead and choose one of the Intel or GNU options.

If you would like some assistance with choosing options, just grab the screenful of options form the configure step and we can help steer you in a reasonable direction.

Also, would you provide the output from a "uname -a" in your next reply.

davegill said:
This is just arm waving (does that pun count)?

If you are given several options in the configure step, go ahead and choose one of the Intel or GNU options.

If you would like some assistance with choosing options, just grab the screenful of options form the configure step and we can help steer you in a reasonable direction.

Also, would you provide the output from a "uname -a" in your next reply.

OK. I figured so long as the correct compilers are on the system then I should have no issues. I haven't run anything up to this point on the machine in question (learning how to run it on a different OS currently) but once I do I will reply back with that. Thanks.