Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Error Compiling WRF3.8 - no executable files - netcdf problems

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

davdg000

Hi guys

I tray to install WRF and WPS for the fist time in my SO (Debian 10). I have succesfully installed jasper-1.900.1, libpng-1.2.50, zlib-1.2.7, netcdf-c-4.1.3, netcdf-fortran-4.5.2 and mpich-3.0.4. I didn't install hdf5, but I think this librarie is not necessary to WRF v.3.8

I have been guiding myself for the installation with the UCAR guide (https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php).

I am new in linux and i don't know which compilers have this pc, I guess is GNU.

The problem ocurrs during compilation of WRF after the configure process. The compilation process run, and run for about 20 minutes, but I just don't get the executables. The log compile file have the next message:

---> Problems building executables, look for errors in the build log <---

These is my log file and config.
View attachment configure.wrf
View attachment compile.log

Please, can you help me?
Thanks!

Hi,
The first error in your compile log is:
Code:
/usr/bin/ld: module_wrfsi_static.f:(.text+0x6f9): referencia a `nf_inq_dimlen_' sin definir
/usr/bin/ld: module_wrfsi_static.f:(.text+0x710): referencia a `nf_inq_dimid_' sin definir
/usr/bin/ld: module_wrfsi_static.f:(.text+0x723): referencia a `nf_inq_dimlen_' sin definir
/usr/bin/ld: module_wrfsi_static.f:(.text+0x7bb): referencia a `nf_close_' sin definir
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: [makefile:45: diffwrf] Error 1 (no tiene efecto)

All the "nf_*" strings seem to indicate a problem with your netcdf library. There are a few things to check.
1) Make sure netcdf was built with the compiler (and version) that you are using to build WRF.
2) Make sure you have the netcdf library (e.g., path-to-your-netcdf/netcdf/bin) in your path.
3) Make sure you have set the environment variable NETCDF. Something like:
export NETCDF=/path-to-your-netcdf/netcdf

I see that you are using a build of netcdf-c and netcdf-fortran. It is okay to use this, but you will need to combine everything together so that the model knows how to find it. I'd suggest creating a netcdf directory, which should contain subdirectories called "lib," "include," and "bin." You can then link all files from the corresponding netcdf-c and netcdf-fortran lib/include/bin directories into these new/combined directories. This will ensure everything is under a single top-level directory.